Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The January/February 2015 Tea Time Magazine

This year my reading habits changed dramatically. Now that my day job includes reviewing, editing and proofreading non-fiction books as well as novels, a book is what you'll find me reading most of the time, usually at least three or four a week. And because my husband and I also handle the social media accounts for some local businesses, if I'm not reading a book I'm reading one of the many business and technology magazines I now subscribe to, such as Inc., Entrepreneur, Money, Fortune, Fast Company, Wired, etc. For that reason I let a lot of my general interest magazine subscriptions expire, but one I've kept and that always, always makes me go "Aah" when it arrives in the mail is Tea Time. The new issue arrived right around Christmas, and I was so happy to see the beloved Old Country Roses pattern from Royal Albert on the cover. That was my mom's china pattern, of which she had service for 16, I believe, with lots of accessory pieces including various teapots, canisters, flatware and more. I have loved this china pattern ever since I first saw it, but I love it even more for how it reminds me of my mother. For that reason, I think this is one of the prettiest Tea Time covers ever!

Of course Tea Time always gives me something new to lust over, and this time it's this gorgeous Royal Crown Derby Elizabeth Gold china pattern. At $750 for the teapot and $200 per cup and saucer, I'd be scared to touch them, but I'm not at all scared to admire the pretty scalloped shape featured on these pieces.

On a more practical note, the recipes this time include one I think is adorable, for these Mitten Muffuletta Tea Sandwiches. The muffuletta is a type of Italian sandwich that originated with the immigrants of New Orleans, and while my New Orleans-born husband insists it's not the real thing unless you have one from, say, Central Grocery in New Orleans, I love the idea of making these cute tea sandwiches sometime in the run-up to Mardi Gras. There's lots to love in this new issue of Tea Time — but especially the cover. Are any of you Old Country Roses fans like myself?

11 comments:

  1. I am, indeed, a fan of Old Country Roses, but at this point I only have service for four plus the teapot, sugar and creamer, and a few other serving pieces. Someday I hope to expand the collection. Did you inherit your mom's Old Country Roses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I love the cover of this issue of Tea Time Magazine. I only have a teapot, creamer and sugar in the Old Country Roses pattern. And, of those only the Creamer and Sugar are made in England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Angela ... just now catching up on some blog reading, and thought of you when I came across the following link: http://www.ohhowcivilized.com/. Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any of the Old Country Roses pattern but know fellow Canadian Sandi who hosts Tea Time Tuesday has lots. When I purchase a new teapot, I don't get the matching cream and sugar as I have a nice collection of crystal and other sets to use. There is a great sale on this pattern at the Royal Doulton store near us and I just received a $25 gift card earned from my points. Hmm, what to buy? :-)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I am indeed a fan of OCR. It was my father's favourite pattern and I have a couple of the pieces he had purchased for my mother years ago. I featured it in my Christmas Tea post a week ago. Lots of fond memories when I look at this china. I had subscribed to Tea Time magazine and unfortunately let it expire a while back. The cover of the newest issue is gorgeous, no doubt about that. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mum has American Beauty. I picked Val d'Or for my wedding china. Over the years my tastes changed and off I went to Rosenthals Frederick the Great.

    Don't flame me ladies but the thought of all those flower under meat and veg just didn't work for me.

    My teapot is Blue Willow and I have a Winterling Coffee service that is a bit floral but only on the edge with a heavy dose of cobalt blue.

    I like tomix and match.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like OCR. I have one teacup and saucer. Debated about buying some plates at Goodwill yesterday but they were a bit pricey. I later found out it was Se Citizen day and I got a 25% discount - kind of wish I had gone back to get them But I didn't and now they are -00 miles away! Oh, well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the 'eye-candy' that Tea Time Magazine provides for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do enjoy Tea Time when it arrives.
    I need to pull it out a read more closely now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my china pattern too. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who doesn't love Old Country Rose china? It is the pattern that has sold the most since its inception.

    It works well for so many occasions. I also received my copy of Teatime Magazine which I am so grateful to have been able to afford this past year. There was an offer for both Victoria/Teatime that beaconed and they both arrived at the end of last week and I like you think this is one of their best issues.

    With a prayerful heart,
    Sylvia Faye

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!