Saturday, December 20, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #51 -- Old Carriage House Tea Room (Natchez, Mississippi)

I thought it was probably too much to hope I could find a tea room postcard showing some Christmas decorations, but I think I've come close. Check out the colorful strand of Christmas lights hanging from the tree in front of the Old Carriage House Tea Room in Natchez, Mississippi. Does that count? I hope so!

This card was postally unused, but the price was right so I got it anyway. And I was glad I did, because I learned that, happily, this place is still in business. According to their website, "Long famous for its Southern cuisine, The Carriage House Restaurant has been the site of many memorable weddings, rehearsal dinners, receptions, and parties since 1946. In days past, folks clamored for the fried chicken and buttery silver dollar-sized biscuits. Fried chicken and biscuits are still favorites at The Carriage House, but thanks to Chef Bingo Starr, our menu is delightfully varied. The Carriage House offers a Blue Plate Special Wednesday through Friday. The specials themselves vary from month to month and include soup, salad, and sandwich specials, Southern comfort food, and fresh Gulf seafood." Now first, do you not LOVE the chef's name, Bingo Starr? But I also love knowing this former tea room is still serving customers. Go here if you want to see what it looks like today!

8 comments:

  1. I had lunch at the Old Carriage House years ago and had no idea it was also a tea room! They weren't kidding about the silver-dollar sized biscuits ... mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming building; love the windows. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course those lights count! And it looks like a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you found one with a string of Christmas lights. The building has really, really changed. Would love to have seen the first one and the current one as well and have those biscuits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We visited Natchez a few years ago with another couple for the Spring Pilgrimage. The plantations are really fun to tour. We had lunch at the Carriage House and I had my first Mint Julep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice spot you found in Mississippi! Love the lights - great find! Merry Christmas to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one and will check out their website. Yes, the lights count!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good place to visit. I have always wanted to take a heritage tour there. I'll keep this place in mind. Have a great holiday, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!