Saturday, December 13, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #50 -- Maple Cabin Tea Room (St. Johnsbury, Vt.)

I've been to all kinds of tea rooms in all kinds of places, but I've never been to one that looks as if it were made of Lincoln logs! Still, I think this Maple Cabin Tea Room looks quite fitting for a town in Vermont in 1941.

At least I *think* that date says 1941. Do you agree? This card is interesting to me because it was apparently some sort of postcard exchange. It was addressed to Miss Theresa Zimmerman of Huron, Ohio, and reads, "Dear Theresa, Thanks for the swell card. Am willing to exchange postcards with you. You are the only one in Oho who I exchange cards with. Sincerely, Alvin W. Gold," and it includes his address in St. Johnsbury, Vt., site of the tea room pictured on the postcard. So, how did Theresa and Alvin become postcard-exchanging pen pals pre-Internet? (Perhaps there were ads in some national magazine.) And is it just me or do you think this handwriting looks like a female's? I'm wondering if Alvin's mother penned this postcard and sent it for him. I think a postcard exchange sounds like a fun idea, and I'm a little surprised I've never heard of one before now. Have you?

8 comments:

  1. As a child, I remember a postcard exchange that worked like a chain letter. You sent a postcard to each person on the list (about 5) and were supposed to receive a whole bunch back. I think I just received 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in elementary school, I also participated in a chain letter which promised to bring me postcards from around the world. I only got a few back; I think one came from the U.S. which was exciting for a child living in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's 1941, as well. Definitely was expecting a female's name...but people had better pen skills back then, so maybe not! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure do wish we could see the inside of that quaint tea room! Postcard exchange sounds fun! Cute one Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like fun, and I like that log cabin tea room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also love to see the inside of this tea room. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Angela, this is such a neat postcard! Tea would have been wonderful there. Hope you have a nice weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would having tea here. One time a few years ago I did have the opportunity to have tea in a log house, what fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!