Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The December 2014 Food Network magazine

This year my Christmas baking will be taking a bit of a different turn. Since my husband and I started a communications business earlier this year and have become well-acquainted with a number of our clients, we decided that cookie trays really ought to go to some of them this year along with the trays I make for family and friends. I was inspired by the cookies on the cover of this Food Network magazine I recently picked up at the grocery store, and the cookies inside are just the sort of new and different flavors I'd hoped for: Brown Butter Madeleines, Lime Icebox Cookies, Pink Grapefruit Shortbread and No-Bake Spiced Fruitcake Balls, just to name a few.

When I finished studying the cookies and went back to read the rest of the magazine, I found a few other features I thought some of you might be interested in as well. The Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten, shares a recipe for Cranberry-Orange Scones that she likes to whip up the night before, store in the refrigerator and bake the next day. I've always made scones right before serving time, but I'm going to give her recipe a try and see how it works.

And I always love the little recipe booklets in this magazine. This one features Cheese Appetizers, a number of which are balls, toasts, tartlets and other foods that I could easily see on a tea tray. If you're not normally a Food Network magazine reader, you might want to pick up this issue and see what you think!

8 comments:

  1. Tell us how the scones turn out...that sounds perfect! I'll have to look for the magazine. Thanks for mentioning that!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sneak peek at the magazine. It looks like a good one to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New and different baking ideas are always welcome in my kitchen. The orange scones sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very interesting. I have my fav holiday magazines packed away with holiday décor that are always fun to look back on. I love the red & green featured on front too. Scones sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will anticipate the cookies you make. I make my scones a week ahead and freeze unbaked, then pop them in the oven when the guests arrive. So easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually make my Christmas morning scones way ahead of time and freeze them. I cook them a few more minutes than the recipe calls for. Works great. Learned this from King Arthur. Here is the recipe and there is a link to the blog about it on this page. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cinnamon-eggnog-scones-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a nice Christmas mag. My picks this year were Holiday Bliss by Victoria, Southern Christmas and Christmas with Paula Deen. So hard to resist all the great holiday magazines that are available. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!