Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A new Christmas teacup to love!

The first surprise on Monday night was that the mailman came at all. I'd given up on mail delivery for the day when the mail still hadn't arrived at 7 p.m., so I went upstairs to do some writing. When the doorbell rang about 8 p.m., I heard the familiar revving of the postal truck backing out of the driveway. Good. I had ordered one of my nieces a piece of jewelry for Christmas, and it was a day late arriving but surely this was that package. To my delight, not only was her gift there, but there were also two gifts just for me. The first one I opened contained this Royal Dover teacup from my tea blogger friend Michele at Finch Rest! Isn't it lovely?

I think it is just beautiful! The holly and berry design is one of my favorite Christmas motifs (and the cup even has a sprig of holly inside!), and of course it means the world to me that a fellow tea blogger gave it to me.

The word "Dover" also pleases me for reasons that have nothing to do with china! In 1964, the year I was born, the Best Picture winner was "My Fair Lady" starring Audrey Hepburn. (Audrey and I share a birthday, May 4.) There's a famous scene in "My Fair Lady" in which the up-and-coming Eliza Doolittle goes to the races and bets on a horse named Dover. In the sort of social faux pas I would no doubt commit, she begins to yell, in a most unladylike fashion, "Come on. Come on, Dover. Come on. Come on, Dover, move your bloomin' ... (unladylike word for "hinder part")." For that reason, the word "Dover" often makes me smile. Seeing it on such a ladylike Christmas teacup will, I hope, help me remember to always act like a lady!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift! Special in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute. Perfect for a Christmas cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the teacup, and the story behind Dover! ;-) How thoughtful of Michele. It's your generosity coming back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, the cup is beautiful, and I love your Dover story. Now I feel ancient as you are only a year older than my oldest child. LOL Someday I hope you share how you store all your tea cups and tea items. Peace and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet and a special Christmas surprise! I know you'll enjoy a special tea in that pretty teacup! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that scene in the movie. When I was in high school I played Lady Boxington in "My Fair Lady." Her big scene is fainting when Eliza yells at the race track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new teacup is beautiful, a very nice addition to your Christmas cup collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you hadn't told us, I would have sworn your new teacup was by Lefton. In fact, when I saw the first photo I told myself that's what it was. The holly design looks very much like some of the Lefton Christmas pieces I have. I just love them! Dummy me let a Lefton Christmas teapot, that would have gone perfectly with your new cup, get away from me all because my husband was with me at the antique store. It was only $18 if I remember right, but he said I didn't need another teapot. Lesson learned - never go shopping with men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that was worth waiting for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This Christmas teacup is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!