Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tea with Amelia and Jessica at the American Girl Doll Store

For the second year in a row, my niece Amelia's Christmas gift from us was a visit to the American Girl Doll Store at North Point Mall to select a new doll and enjoy afternoon tea in the store's restaurant. Here are Amelia and the newly adopted "Jessica Lauren" enjoying tea.

Amelia loves the fact she gets her own teapot when having tea at the American Girl Doll Store.

The server brought us a selection of Tazo Teas. I was in the mood for straight-up black tea and had their English Breakfast Tea while Amelia chose the China Green Tips Tea. The server was impressed that a young girl would choose a) hot tea and b) green tea. As you can see, Amelia takes her tea preparation quite seriously.

And she also adds enough sugar to choke a horse. The server said, "You know, the green tea has antioxidants in it that are so good for you!" "Yes," I said, "but do you think they're canceled out by the five packets of sugar she put in it?"

Here Amelia pours some tea for Jessica. To our surprise, we got to take Jessica's little cup and saucer home with us as a favor!

Our three-tiered server arrived and we were definitely ready to eat!

On the bottom was a cup of strawberry yogurt (for sharing), along with two fruit kabobs and two blueberry mini muffins. Amelia particularly liked the muffins.

The savories were mini turkey burgers, a puff pastry "pig in a blanket" and a cucumber tea sandwich. I guess I will always love cucumber sandwiches as good as anything on the tea plate, but that turkey burger was very good too! (The turkey was Amelia's favorite.)

Our sweets included "dirt" cups (chocolate mousse), mini cupcakes and iced sugar cookies. I'm again impressed that they keep tea at a very reasonable $12 per person.

Last year Amelia got the character doll "Julie," but this year she wanted a "My American Girl" doll, the one they say "looks like you." So Jessica was chosen for her long brown hair (no bangs) that is just like Amelia's. The hair is very important, I learned. Amelia had to touch Jessica's hair before she agreed this was the doll she wanted.

It was another fun day of shopping with my very fun niece — and I hope she'll remember these trips for many years to come!

16 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you are making with your niece. She is so lucky to have a special aunt to make memories to cherish forever!
    Trust me, I know about aunts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hope to be able to share a day like this with my Grand-daughter someday. What a magical day. You are so kind to give her such a special gift. Thanks for sharing; it brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very special afternoon! We did the same thing for several years with my niece - one year we enjoyed the tea (although I think it was more than $12.00) and another year we had the dolls hair done. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful Aunt you are! A terrific inspiration to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special auntie you are. Yes, she will always remember and treasure these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela:
    You know that was one great experience and a memory forever! I need you address - can you send me through Facebook messages!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! That's why I miss having a granddaughters or nieces...have 3 strapping 20 yr old grandsons and 5 nephews! What a special time to spend with her!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special outing for you and your niece. I missed out on many outings when I was growing up because all my relatives lived in other provinces. Now I have three grandsons here and my only granddaughter lives on the other side of the country.
    Your niece is adorable and she picked a doll that does look just like her. Making lovely memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special day! I'm sure it will be a great memory for her.

    My son and I have had afternoon tea at the American Girl shop at the Mall of America. He loved the fruit kebobs, and we had a fantastic view over the amusement park in the center of the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun time with your sweet niece! You are making some very special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like so much fun! I cannot wait to have tea at American Girl doll store - that place is amazing! So sweet memories to cherish forever! Dolls & tea - what could be better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amelia is becoming a well trained young lady -- thanks to you. I remember when you went last year and that mall brought back memories of when I lived in the area. I miss all the great shopping. The tea is very reasonable and everything was delightful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun time. And your niece is growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have done this with my Grandchildren. Always so much fun to do. Don't you wish you had invited the American Doll? They are so expensive. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word, what a special treat for a special pretty little lady!

    This is a GREAT present for her! WOW!

    Yes, this indeed shall be well remembered in years to come. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!