Friday, December 12, 2014

"A request from the Palace ..."

If you're like me, you probably find a lot of e-mail solicitations in your in-box at this time of year. Some companies seem to quadruple their marketing at Christmas, and while it can be overwhelming, there's one company I always enjoy hearing from, Fortnum and Mason in England.

That 307-year-old firm remains the store of my dreams, and though the international shipping keeps me from ordering, I always enjoy seeing what they have "on offer." Teas often make their list of suggested gift items, and this week I was scanning my screen when I thought I saw the word "Smoky" before the words "Earl Grey." So I enlarged the screen and yes, that's precisely what it said.

But in case that description of the Countess Grey/Smokey Earl Grey set is too small for you to read on the device you're viewing it on, here's what it says: "Smoky Earl Grey was created in response to a request from the Palace, and combines traditional bergamot with a touch of Lapsang and Gunpowder tea, combining the best qualities of all three. Aromatic and distinctive, it is superbly refreshing in the afternoon." Now don't you love the subtle way that the royal request is couched: "A request from the Palace." I've read before that the Queen likes Earl Grey tea, so do you think perhaps she is the one who requested the Smoky Earl Grey? (And go here if you happen to wish to order some.)

4 comments:

  1. I love getting e-mails from Fortnum and Mason too. It's fun to dream! But I somehow missed seeing this tea. I guess when you're the Queen of England you can have any kind of tea blended that you want. ;-) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty tins, and I bet that blend is delicious. Fit for a Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an interesting tea. My first thought was one of the grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must get on the mailing list, I love F&M. Sounds interesting I will check it out in May when I visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!