Saturday, December 27, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #52 -- Oakland Tea House (Oakland, Calif.)

So we end the year of tea room postcards with a very different looking tea room, the Oakland, Calif. Tea House at Piedmont  Springs.

The date is unreadable, but the card was sent to Capt. H. N. Timmerman in Honolulu and reads, "Piedmont Springs. We are in the house in the middle of the maze. Jessie and I had to climb over to get in. We are going now. Are having a good time. It is almost time to eat. Adios. S.W. (?)" So was there a corn maze in Oakland way back when? I find this "tea house" most intriguing, and it reminds me of something from "Gilligan's Island." If nothing else, this year of researching tea rooms of yesteryear has taught me that tea rooms come in all shapes, forms and sizes. There were elegant tea rooms in hotels and department stores, tea rooms in repurposed buildings (a hardware store, a grist mill), and finally, a thatched-roof tea room like this one. I hope you've enjoyed these nostalgic trips to the tea rooms of the past. Lord willing, I'll be back next Saturday with an all-new Saturday series that's a very different sort of project. Hope to see you then!

10 comments:

  1. That is a "different" tea room for sure - sounds like fun, though. I've enjoyed your postcard series this year and look forward to seeing what next year's Saturday's will bring. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would have loved visiting this one. Maybe it was not a corn maze, but a maze formed of something else. Now trying to picture this. Can't wait to read what you have in mind next year. This was a great series! I think you might miss exploring further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your postcard tearoom research! Yes - reminder of Gilligan's Island is perfect comparison! I look forward to next Saturday's series. I always enjoy getting your mail - open yours first! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Oakland, California a little over 20 years ago. I cannot imagine this being there. It snows in Oakland in the winter -- not much, and it gets cold, so maybe this was something temporary. Very interesting! Thank you for a great year. I have enjoyed it so much and look forward to another great year with you and your blog. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I THINK I FOUND IT! CHECK THIS LINK TO SEE MORE ABOUT THE TEA HOUSE & A BIT OF HISTORY!
    http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=72318
    THE PHOTO IN THE UPPER RIGHT IS ALSO A POST CARD & CAN EASILY FIT IN WITH THE THEME OF YOUR BUILDING. IF YOU CLICK THE PHOTO, IT GETS QUITE LARGE. SEE WHAT YOU THINK :)

    Looking forward to your new series. Many Blessings to all here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did indeed enjoy your series this year on postcards featuring tea rooms. You are so creative! I can hardly wait to see what your new series will be. Thank you for your blog. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this tearoom has such a fun look! Definitely, "Gilligan's Island" comes to mind. (Growing up, "Gilligan's Island" was a big part of our backyard fun, in our tree houses and playhouses).

    Angela, I have so enjoyed your postcard series. You are so creative as you deftly mix history, geography, recipes - intrigue and mystery and fun, it's a great blog. Looking forward to any projects of yours. Wishing you and your family all the best in the new year, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. How unusual! Looking forward to what the new year new series brings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curious, where are the other tea postcards, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D., if you'll look down the right hand side of my blog page and look under "Labels," there is a heading that says "Tea Room Postcards" about halfway down, and that's an easy way to get to all of them. Enjoy!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!