Monday, March 7, 2016

A memorable sendoff for "Downton Abbey"

Yesterday afternoon, the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society hosted a "Downton Abbey" tea and advance screening at the McRitchie-Hollis Museum here in Newnan. It was a wonderful way to watch and enjoy the last episode of a show I am so, so going to miss! NOTE: I will be discussing thoughts on the final episode, so if you haven't yet watched, there ARE spoilers in this post!

It was a beautiful afternoon at the museum, and I am so happy that springlike weather is finally here!

The museum staff and volunteers were ready for us with tables filled with teacups, teapots, china, and goodies including tea sandwiches, scones, and sweets!

A newcomer to Newnan, my friend Lynn Love from the Newnan-Coweta Chamber also attended, and I had so much fun chatting with her about "Downton" as she became acquainted with our local museum. Lynn is already quite the fan of Coweta County, and I love that about her!

While we mingled with the other ladies and enjoyed our tea and treats, we also got to admire some of the "Downton Abbey" period fashions on display. I could picture several of the Crawley ladies in that aqua gown.

And now, on to the show …

I thought it was wonderful! I've only ever viewed episodes alone, so it was fun to be able to hear the other women laughing and even cheering at some points. The show was projected on a large screen, so it was nice to be able to see it a little larger than I usually would have. What did you like best? My favorite bits were:

• The scene where Bertie and Edith reunite over dinner. And I LOVED that Mary helped instigate that. Redemption!

• I actually found myself tearing up when Barrow was about to leave the house and started saying his goodbyes to everyone. What a number they've done on our emotions with Barrow, going from hating his character to making us sorry to see him go. And to think that he's now going to replace Carson as the butler? Again, redemption. (Can you tell that I like to see characters redeemed? In real life as well as fiction!)

• Daisy's makeover was quite amusing. And I thought Mrs. Patmore nailed it when she pointed out that Daisy didn't like a fellow unless he wasn't interested in her, and once he was, she was no longer interested in him. Nice to see Daisy finally realizing Andy was a good guy.

• Did you not love the scene where Violet and Isobel kidnapped Dickie? Oh my, that was delicious to watch.

• I enjoyed all the episodes where Spratt and Denker went at it with each other, but this time, I thought it was delightful how Denker's latest episode of snitching came to naught.

• Anna's baby was born in Mary's bedroom! How fitting! Oh, if those walls could talk …

• Did you notice who had the very last line of the show, Violet? (Isobel says we can't go backward into the past, only forward into the future, and Violet says, "If only we had the choice.") I thought it was perfect to feature Violet as the closer.

And now, if there IS a DA movie one day, we can see whether Tom gets married, whether Baxter and Molesley get married, how Carson and Mrs. Hughes are doing, how Barrow has changed upon becoming butler … I think I'm ready for the movie already! So what were your favorite scenes from the final episode?

11 comments:

  1. It is so sad to see Downton come to a close. I did think Julian ended the show well. Very fitting for Violet to have the last line. He left just enough to the imagination, but certainly led us in the way we wanted. One of my favorite scenes was when Bertie's mother is interacting with Meredith after the wedding. She is going to accept that sweet little girl and treat her as a valued member of the family. It is always nice to see the soft side of people.
    Sips and Smiles,

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad to see Downton come to a close. I did think Julian ended the show well. Very fitting for Violet to have the last line. He left just enough to the imagination, but certainly led us in the way we wanted. One of my favorite scenes was when Bertie's mother is interacting with Meredith after the wedding. She is going to accept that sweet little girl and treat her as a valued member of the family. It is always nice to see the soft side of people.
    Sips and Smiles,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you could enjoy the final episode with friends. Those costumes are gorgeous! I've not gotten started watching this series yet but I think I'm going to see if I can get it on Netflix or something, and start at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have Amazon Prime you can watch the series there. This is one series hubby and I plan to purchase.

      Delete
  4. The event looks tea-lightful. I'm glad for so many happy endings in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So bittersweet watching the final episode last night. They certainly managed to wrap up loose ends and tie everything together with a tidy little bow. I was relieved that no one died! Loved that it concluded with Edith's wedding (and ultimate happiness) and followed with the birth of the next generation coupled with the final thoughts from Isobel and Violet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, it was a lovely ending! I loved the way Bertie stood up to his mother, was so afraid she was going to be hateful but in the end she wanted his happiness. Edith was a beautiful bride and so deserving of a happy ending. Gorgeous spoiled Mary finally came around.

    My hubby loves the series as much as I do, was so much fun to watch together sipping tea. Sigh, it's over. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite part was Lord Merton and Isobel...with Violet's insistence...thwarting the self-centered son Larry & wife...and having the misdiagnosis and hopefully insuring many happy years together. But loved Edith finally getting a happy ending and outranking Mary!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the beginning of the show where they were strolling and then sitting out on the lawn just was beautiful eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely event! Wish they'd had something like that in my area. The only event I saw advertised locally cost $75 a person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. Angela - I am going to miss this show! So well written. beautifully designed and wonderful acting, looking forward to any spin offs or movies, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!