Monday, March 14, 2016

Taking tea with Joy!


Now there's a headline I've been eager to write! I haven't been to an actual tearoom this year, but on Saturday, I had the pleasure of meeting and enjoying tea with someone I met through this blog, my fellow Georgian Joy Breedlove!


Joy and I met for tea at Tea Leaves and Thyme in Woodstock, a tearoom we have both visited before. Because I had several traffic snafus, and then discovered a craft show was going on in downtown Woodstock, and then the tearoom parking lot itself had no available parking spaces when I arrived, I got there embarrassingly late, but Joy was completely gracious about it and took my tardiness in stride, bless her! (Next time, I will go there on a weekday rather than a busy Saturday in March!)


When I finally sat down and caught my breath, I began to take in the details of our table. We both appreciated the little welcome card, and Joy didn't seem bothered a bit that I had to pause and snap pictures of everything!

Our server quickly took our tea orders, with Joy having a green Darjeeling and me drinking the tea of the day, a persimmon-flavored rooibos. We both enjoyed our teas, and later Joy opted to try another, the Cheeky Peach. After she bragged on it and offered me some, I tried it, too, and we both agreed it was a very peachy peach!

If you click here, you'll see that Tea Leaves and Thyme has a nice variety of afternoon tea offerings. Joy wisely went for the Light Afternoon Tea, which was the equivalent of Full Afternoon Tea anywhere else. I had skipped breakfast and decided to order the Classic Afternoon Tea. My chicken salad croissant was divine, but it was so huge that I was halfway full before I even touched the tea tray. Next time, I'll hopefully remember that Light Afternoon Tea is plenty here!

Our tea tray came out promptly, and the server took a few moments to explain what everything was. I was so eager to talk to Joy, I didn't take notes as I usually do, so I'm probably going to be guessing what a few things were!

We each had three different types of scones (plain, pecan, I believe, and I don't remember the third because I didn't get around to eating it!).

I enjoyed the scones, especially because I haven't had clotted cream and lemon curd in a while!

The sandwiches are one of my favorite courses at teatime, and I always enjoy seeing the nice variety of them. The flavors were pineapple cream cheese on raisin bread, pimiento cheese, some sort of shaved ham, and cucumber with pimientos on top. I enjoyed them all, but I think the ham was my favorite.

The sweets did not disappoint either! They included lemon bars, a chocolate chip shortbread bar, a cherry chocolate brownie and a blueberry mini muffin. I took one bite of the chocolate chip bar and said oh my, this is so good I'm saving it till the end, and I did!

This teatime actually came about because earlier this year, Joy wrote to tell me she had found some china I had been wanting *on clearance* and went ahead and got it for me because the price was right. When we talked about where to meet for the handover, we eventually settled on tea in Woodstock. Tomorrow, I'll show you the lovely pieces I now own because of her thoughtfulness. And much as I enjoyed the tea, and receiving the longed-for new china, the highlight of the day was, without a doubt, getting to meet Joy. She was even more warm and welcoming than I expected her to be, and after we chatted for 2-1/2 hours, I left feeling as if I'd just met up with a longtime friend I hadn't seen in a while. Isn't it amazing, the lovely people we meet because of tea?


19 comments:

  1. The cherry chocolate brownie and the lemon bar both look delicious! It is amazing how a common bond, such as the love of tea can bring people together. Such a pleasant day! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so wonderful to meet you, Angela, and I, too, left feeling that I had just met a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since sweet Joy is my BFF, I absolutely agree with your assessment of her! We need a do over, because I would love to join y'all next time. This tearoom looks divine, and I know the company will be as well. Win/win!

    Smiles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then, we definitely need to do this again! Maybe in the mountains next time? I believe Joy said a shop that sells tea (whether it will serve it is unknown) is in the works near you. Maybe we should tentatively plan to meet up when that opens?

      Delete
    2. We will definitely be in touch and set up another date!

      Delete
  4. So pleased you were able to join Joy for tea at this cute tearoom in Woodstock. Thanks for sharing all the photos and details. It has been too long since I visited a tea room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! Can't wait to see the china. Your friend is a gem! My great grandmother Carrie Welsh married a Breedlove. Maybe we are related!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! Sounds like a very special afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh now I know what Joy looks like. She occasionally visits me on my blog. What a treat to meet Joy and have such a special tea time. Now I want that sandwich on the croissant and the brownie with the cherry filling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that tea room and have many happy memories of tea there with special friends. Aren't all tea friend special?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a lovely time ya'll had! I am green with envy. I know---it is a sin, but sometimes a girl just can't help it. I am sooo glad that Sweetie Joy got to meet you and that you got to meet her. I have always thought she had the perfect name, as she is such a joy to know! How I wish we had a lovely tearoom like this here in Austin and how I also wish I could join ya'll at the one in Woodstock. Can't wait to see the pretty china that Joy found for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a joy to read your blog and to see a real Joy! Angela, you have so many sweet followers and give us all inspiration and you are a very loving spirit. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Angela, I'm envious [in a good kind of way] that you got to meet Joy. She's a faithful reader and commenter on my blog too. I'm not surprised that you found her to be a very warm person and a 'joy' to be with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you and Joy had a lovely visit at the tea room. Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was so fun to see - I always enjoy seeing the food, etc. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so fun to see - I always enjoy seeing the food, etc. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, that looks delicious! How nice to have a welcome card, and how fun to have tea with a blogging friend!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Angela, looks like a nice place to have tea. Wonderful to see Joy, it's nice to put a face with a name, (and Joy seems perfectly named!) Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tea Leaves & Thyme is a Georgia gem by way of our teahouse offerings. So glad you met up there, and I know that food was delicious! Their tea menu is so long and varied and they have never rushed our teatime conversation - which is a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!