Wednesday, March 30, 2016

On the world's tea trade

Recently I was looking up some statistics on world tea production and consumption when I came across this 2015 publication from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. If you're a tea geek as well (and hey, I know I'm not the only one here), I think you'll find this most interesting!

Flip on over to page 6 in the booklet, and you'll see that tea consumption, measured in thousand tons, increased greatly in the US from 2009 to 2010, jumping from 108.2 thousand tons to 123.8 thousand tons. The number went up again in 2011, dipped in 2012, and in 2013 was at the highest level yet, 127.4 tons. I'm happy we're consuming more tea in this country, but I do wish I knew *why* we're drinking more tea. (Better publicity? Health benefits? "Downton Abbey" influence?)

And on page 8, I was intrigued to learn that while both black tea and green tea production are expected to increase, green tea production is expected to grow at a faster rate. There's lots more to ponder in this intriguing report, and I'm just pleased that tea production is so important that a group within the United Nations deems it worthy of study!

7 comments:

  1. My thought is that people are looking for healthier beverages and green tea is not only tasty but has many benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite interesting. I'm glad to know that tea production is expected to increase, since I enjoy it so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the younger adults are discovering tea and becoming connoisseurs. Many of my tea friends here are in their 30's and 40's. They like the health benefits, but also learning and finding the utmost top teas from around the world. They are very much into specialty teas direct from the farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blame it (happily) on Downton Abbey for sure. Tea is a social thing, and peeps are more into it now. Just yay. Makes me feel less tea party geeky now lol. Sip on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting trend and I'm glad to hear it. I just saw a special on WSB-TV, about the impact of millenials and this fits in.

    I know a few millenials, my son included and tea is a drink of choice with them. I keep seeing news stories that soda consumption is way down, but, with soda companies offering alternative products, they are trying to keep their profits alive.

    Thanks for sharing the news, Angela. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I think it is because of the health benefits of green tea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!