Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Greeting card shopping

Clearly, I am going to have to get back to making my own greeting cards. Have you noticed how expensive they are these days? Two cards I picked up last week were $6.99 each, and though they were lovely, I'm just not paying the price of a teacup for a card—especially at the grocery store, where I saw those two pretty cards. But I did find two pretty and reasonably priced teacup cards at Barnes and Noble last week.

I loved this pretty Easter card (just $2.95) with artwork by Susan Wheeler.

And I also loved this contemporary design teacup card ($2.50) with artwork called "Stacked Teacups" by Amy Tollafield. I have a dear friend going through a twelve-step program, and the card seemed appropriate since it says "Many warm wishes for your recovery." I thought some of you might like to look for these two cards next time you're in Barnes and Noble yourselves. My town no longer has a Hallmark shop, so my card shopping is pretty much limited to Walmart, Target, grocery stores, and Barnes and Noble. Where do you buy greeting cards, or do you make your own?

15 comments:

  1. I pick up fairly nice cards at The Dollar Tree. However, they are not on the thicker card stock. Still, when I want to send a quick hug, via card...they fill the bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I forgot about them ... and I have found "tea" cards there before. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
    2. Hobby Lobby in Newnan has wonderful cards. Many are very reasonably priced.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy making my own. And I need to have a card-making session, seeing as how there are a lot of family birthdays in March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are cute! I make my own sometimes and go to the Hallmark store sometimes - usually I shop in the 99 cent section there, though! We don't have a lot of shopping variety in our little town but we do have a lovely Hallmark store. $6.00 for a card is ridiculous - I'd much rather buy a teacup! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also shop Dollar tree for cards like new I cannot justify paying the high price for cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I receive cards from a friend who makes the most beautiful of cards and I am always saying she should put them on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The price of cards makes me cringe! These are both very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a Dollar General? They have some nice cards at reasonable prices. I buy relative birthday cards because I don't have the rubber stamps for brother, son, niece, etc. Otherwise, I do like to make my own, simply because it helps fill that need to create (which I believe you have in abundance), and everyone loves that you took time to make a card just for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try not to buy cards often, but sometimes I just can't avoid it. Our Hallmark recently closed too. Love the card with the mice and I will be checking that out at Barnes and Noble. It is a favorite tea picture of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been making my own cards for several years and find it relaxing. The Hallmark stores are closing in Ontario as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute cards. I agree about the price of cards. Walmart has a cheap section but they are often not cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there a Trader Joe's near you? They've got some great cards and I think they're still $1. I stock up there and in the $0.99 section of Hallmark. A local garden center has a gift shop with lots of cute cards, as well. I've also found some at Home Goods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello, Angela, I have come across some beautiful cards too and then the sticker shock of $6.99 (I remember a gorgeous wedding card for $9.99, I just could not 'justify' that price.

    I miss not having a Hallmark store close to home! Hope you have a nice weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found the same card by Susan Wheeler in a box of 12 friendship cards from www.Christianbook.com. There were four different designs in the box for $4-5. If you need lovely cards, this is the place to go. While I think the cards that I bought are no longer available, they do have several other teacup themed cards in boxed sets. While the cards are lovely please be warned that the envelopes leave a lot to be desired.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!