Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Celebrating International Button Week


Yesterday I was blog surfing when I came across a delightful blog called Button Floozies, and I learned they have decided to host International Button Week. So of course as an amateur button lover I had to find an appropriate way to celebrate, and this is what I came up with. It took about 30 minutes to make last night, but don't look too closely or you will see the gobs of hot glue hiding in between all those buttons. One day, when I am in a more leisurely mood, maybe I'll try actually *sewing* the buttons in a teapot shape on a pillow, as I think that could be really pretty.

This is actually an idea I've had for a while, but when I learned of the international observance it prompted me to action. I have a couple of teapot templates I saved from some craft kit years ago. I traced the one I like best on a sheet of construction paper and began filling it with some white buttons. (Mother of pearl ones would be prettier, but I glued all those to the little metal trash bin in my craft room last year, alas.) When that practice piece was done, I used a white quilting pencil to outline the teapot template on a piece of blue-green velvet and commenced to hot gluing buttons.

Are you a button lover? I am, and I can't think of too many crafts a nice button or two wouldn't improve upon. And I'd like to use them in some new and different ways. In fact, I've been thinking that if I can find some nice large buttons with rims around the edges, it might be fun to compose collages within the "frame" of the button. If I come up with something else tea-ish in button land, you know I'll share it here!

6 comments:

  1. Your button picture is lovely. I, too, am fond of buttons. When I was in Elementary School I wrote a report about the history of buttons, with no prompting from an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lovely and very creative and I like the idea of a button teapot pillow. I have been looking through some old Christmas magazines lately and saw a ring made with antique buttons. Also, Martha Stewart has a really nice button punch in her craft line (for paper arts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too Cute! And now I am ispired! Buttons I have and the pillow idea will work perfectly for my recently updated "Nana & granddaughter Samantha" guest room! Thanks Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you shared this! I have so many buttons waiting for a new life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know it was International Button Week. I love buttons too. I think about using them in craft projects, but mostly I just like looking at them in a big jar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great button art! Actually, I never knew there was such a thing as button art. But, I love all things "tea".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!