Monday, November 17, 2008

Apron with Teacups


After making the rounds of our usual stores near Town Center on Saturday, my mom and aunt and I stopped by an antiques store we like called "Fleu de Coop." With so many stores closing their doors these days, we were happy to see this place still in business, and I found something I've never even seen before, a vintage apron with teacups on it. (Among other uses, I'm thinking of scanning the fabric to use as a design on notecards.)

Years ago, I started collecting aprons and probably had about 40 or 50 of them. But aprons take up a lot of room, I didn't have a way of displaying them, I wasn't really wearing many of them (occasionally the Christmas ones), and so I eventually sold them on eBay. I now keep just a few for my nieces to play dress-up in, but this one was too cute to pass up.

I see aprons as part of the history of housekeeping, so I especially love them and all the other things that are throwbacks to June Cleaver and the fifties. My dream kitchen would be one of those Pepto-Bismol pink ones, with gray Formica tabletops and counters, a pink refrigerator, and a pink hand-crankable ice crusher sitting out on the counter, all expertly managed by a pink-clad housewife. (Since I'm fantasizing here, let's say this person is me.) I don't think DH would quite go for that, though, so for now, a cute apron does the trick. (Side note: Have you noticed that aprons are now back in style and some young women are wearing them as outerwear? What would Lucy and Ethel think!)

9 comments:

  1. Very cute apron! And I enjoyed your fantasizing about housewifery. I imagine that you like housekeeping books, as I do. _Home Comforts_ by Cheryl Mendelson is a classic in my opinion. And I have an assortment of others. Do you have a collection of those. If so, I would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, come visit today because I am hosting two giveaways that might interest you! Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the apron with teacups! I have many fond memories of my mother and aunts wearing aprons made from a similar pattern to this one. They probably made their aprons because they did a lot of sewing. I have several of their aprons, but none with teacups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love aprons too, but have none. My mom use to make hers from old feed. Back when we were young and lived on a small little farm in FLA. My dad had feed that came in sweet little printed cotton sacks. Aprons & dresses for the girls were made from them! Isn't that funny? Can you imagine trying to make a dress for a child today out of a feed sack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute apron. I love aprons. Like Linda, I have "apron memories", too ... of my mom and grandmother and their aprons. The apron I wear has a cute cross-stitched teapot and was done by a favorite auntie of mine. Long Live the Apron!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an adorable apron. I have a Christmas one that my mother sewed for me with a matching potholder. I was young at the time and didn't appreciate the gift, but now I treasure it.

    Have you seen "The Apron Book" by EllynAnne Geisel? It is an enjoyable read and brings back many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frivolitea, I have only a couple of housekeeping books (would love more, especially old ones!), but a good one is "Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping." And ParTea Lady, I do think I read that apron book years ago, and it was a good one. I love all the memories of aprons everyone has!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've told you time and again how lucky you are to find all of these amazing tea things! My goodness!

    Also, can you explain how the skirt apron works? I end up getting stuff all over my top! I love the way these look, but I think I need a full one. ;-) Is there a secret I'm missing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOO! an apron with teacups, how gorgeous - I love aprons too. I'm glad I found your blog from a fellow reader.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!