Friday, November 7, 2008

My Coffeemate/tea experiment


Perhaps I have made this confession here before, but I actually drink a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. To make it more palatable I usually have some frou-frou flavor of Coffeemate, something my sweet coffee-loving husband wouldn't touch if his life depended on it but which I enjoy experimenting with. Pumpkin, Peppermint, Vanilla Caramel ... I've tried a bunch of them, but the newest flavor I've tried is Caramel Apple.

And then it hit me: In a pinch, I've used DH's plain Coffeemate as a substitute for milk in tea before, and I'll bet this flavor would be good in some Apple Cider tea. So, I made a cup and poured in a bit of the Caramel Apple Coffeemate. It really tasted good, like some Starbucks tea concoction, even.

The bad news is, I for the first time read the ingredient panel on the Coffeemate, and it wasn't pretty. (You health-conscious readers knew that already, didn't you?) So I probably won't make a habit of adulterating my tea like this too often -- and the fact it's white tea is just wrong -- but it was certainly an interesting little experiment.

7 comments:

  1. My daughter also uses Coffeemate and right now has some Vanilla Caramel flavor in the fridge. Hubby uses plain half and half in his coffee. I, however, use only organic 1% milk in my tea.

    I must admit, though, that the Caramel Apple flavor sounds yummy and I might just splash a little in my tea one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a little freaky to see those ingredients!!! Am a whole milk added to mine kinda a girl, coffee or tea for that matter! BUT i will confess i have had (and dare i say enjoyed) those strange coffeemate flavors. ;) tammyp--dreaming of a tearoom in downtown Newnan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had coffee mate in my tea before but I always use a variety of them for my caterings and sneak a cup or two while catering. They just seem to taste better with the evening coffee. Hey, by the way, I tried the Chocolatte Black Tea that you talked about, I added milk & sugar to mine it really is good! I think this will be a new favorite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell people the #1 rule about tea is to drink it how you like it! Whatever works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a plain tea gal. No milk, no sweetener, no lemon so your chemical-laden Coffeemate tea experiement sounds yucky to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I better read the Coffemate label....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha, my husband is JUST like yours will not even drive through what he calls a womans coffee house. Black coffee for him! But...I am working on it as he takes a sip of mine here and there when no one is looking.....:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!