Monday, May 4, 2015

Surprised by a birthday tea party!

Today is my 51st birthday, and I can't help being a little proud that my family actually surprised me on Saturday with a birthday tea party! Because I am suspicious by nature, a mere hint of surprise in the air usually gets my attention, but I had no idea my visit to see my dad on Saturday would involve anything but a normal day of shopping with Aunt Jane.

I did ask why Amelia had a dress on when it was Saturday, and she just smiled and walked into the dining room. That's her above with Aunt Jane and my sister, Rhonda.

Rhonda set the table with some of my mom's Old Country Roses china, and I somehow think our mother would approve!

I certainly wasn't expecting a lunchtime treat of tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, hot tea and …

Daddy's famous coconut cake, the closest thing to the old Rich's Coconut Cake this side of heaven. Oh, is it good! For years now my dad has been the chief cake baker in the family, and he always lets each family member choose the kind of cake he or she wants. His specialties are chocolate cake, coconut cake and strawberry cake, although at my niece Cari's request, he recently added Red Velvet cake to his menu of offerings!

My sister told me even nephew Matthew helped, and although he was away playing (and winning!) a ballgame, he helped assemble the cucumber sandwiches and was very interested in creating patterns with the cucumbers. (Future engineer or programmer, maybe?) We also had egg salad and pimiento cheese sandwiches, all delicious, and I learned my sister puts a little bit of garlic salt and onion in her pimiento cheese, which gives it just a little extra zing that is just wonderful!

Amelia had even written a birthday greeting on a white board for me. It was a great way to kick off birthday week!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! What a lovely surprise tea party to kick off Birthday Season for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect surprise birthday celebration - everyone did something special! Happy Birthday to you! May you enjoy a year full of tea time adventures with family, friends, and your blogging family of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely surprise and Happy Birthday to you! That is a special looking cake. I have never seen that OCR before. I really love the fancied up design. Enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy Birthday! You have a very special family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Angela! May God grant you many more. What a lovely surprise by your lovely family. Enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and many joyful blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! What a very special surprise tea party. Your Dad's coconut cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! What a perfect surprise celebration for a tea blogger. The tabletop is full of wonderful tea time treats and hat cake looks heavenly. I love coconut! Looks like you had a memorable celebration with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Angela! What a delightful way to celebrate your birthday. Enjoy the rest of your birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Angela! What a wonderful surprise from your family. And your Daddy's cake looks wonderful, as does everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Angela! What a lovely tea party and wow, your Dad's coconut cake looks delicious! Hope your birthday week is full of great surprises!
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Angela! What a great surprise, and the cake looks so yummy. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to you Angela. You are loved by your family - a lovely surprise tea party sounds perfect. Everything looks very pretty and delicious. Yummy I can taste your Dad's coconut cake - my FAV! Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a perfect birthday celebration. Happy Birthday a little late!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!