Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Celebrating Derby Day and supporting a great cause!

Alex and I were among the supporters attending Saturday's Hats and Hooves Derby Affair at the McRitchie-Hollis Museum here in Newnan. This annual event is a fundraiser for Communities In Schools, a highly successful dropout prevention program we are proud to support. We knew we'd have a good time because we know so many of the great folks involved with this program, and I was delighted that about 99 percent of the women there did indeed wear hats!

As expected, there was lots of great food at this event, and of course I was immediately impressed by the tea station, where I happily went to the lemonade and sweet tea dispensers several times to make Arnold Palmers. (Yes, there were Mint Juleps, too, but I've found only one person who actually admits to liking them!)

After I had some of the Shrimp and Grits (my all-time favorite food), I skipped all the other savories and went straight for the wonderful dessert buffet. I was trying to decide what to get when, behind the sweets, I spotted …

Macarons! You don't get these every day! So it was a fun and delicious evening, and I thought I'd share a few of the great hats and fascinators I saw. Did any of you get to watch and/or celebrate the Kentucky Derby on Saturday?












9 comments:

  1. I love to see how everyone celebrates the Derby. Fund raiser celebrations are very popular here in Kentucky throughout Derby week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you sure looked cute and the other ladies hats were darling. What a great time Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the hats! What a fun party, and for a good cause - that makes it even better! And macarons, too? Someone must have known you were going to attend. :-) I watched the Derby at home but had celebrated, hat and all, a week or so ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! My little sister is a graduate of The University of Kentucky - so way back when we fell in love with All Things Derby. This year, however, I found myself saying no to every great invite. I am just behind on everything and can't slow down much. Weddings and teas and showers and graduations and such....

    I love that pic of you and your handsome hubby. It's always nice to see recently pics of dear blog sisters.

    I enjoyed seeing all those hats. Last Derby time I spend hours upon hours looking up all sorts of funny DD hats on goog le images. It was fun.

    Those macaron look so good - you are right, they're a real treat one seldom finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun! You look very pretty & festive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog i have seen. Presentation is very good

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish hats would come back into fashion. They are such fun! And shrimp and grits are wonderful. Really anything with grits is good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like so much fun and it was for a good cause, that is a winning combination! Love your photos, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all the hats. Those sweets are where I would head too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!