Monday, May 11, 2015

How we spent our birthday money

Saturday was the monthly meeting of my mystery writers group in Smyrna, and afterward, since I was in the neighborhood, I decided to hit that great big T.J. Maxx and More I love so much at Cumberland. After buying some new artwork I'd wanted for my bedroom, I had a little birthday money from my dad left over, and I am very funny about gift money and gift cards. I have a rule that such gifts *cannot* be used for any necessities or ordinary purchases and *must* be used for something frivolous. Like more teacups!

T.J. Maxx had a ton of pretty Gracie China teacups on Saturday, and I thought this $6.99 model was one of the loveliest ones I've seen in a while. I liked that it even has that vintage-looking gold trim around the edges. I don't recall ever seeing this vintage style of trim on a new teacup before.

I assumed that would be the only teacup I'd buy, but then I went next door to Marshalls and found a chintz teacup that was just as pretty! I cannot remember the last time I found new chintz at any price, and at $6.99 (and with a little b'day money to spare), I thought this was a no-brainer!

15 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love them both - and they are so pretty together! I had the same rule about birthday money. It makes shopping so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday, I enjoyed your purchases almost as much as you did! I always have a good time when I visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! My father still gives me birthday money too! I have saved some in my birthday fund, so I don't feel guilty when I buy frivolous tea things. Like the Shelley dainty rosebud china set for 12!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You scored big here and what great additions to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love your thought process !!!!!! Spend and enjoy !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! You spent your birthday money wisely! Look forward to seeing them on the tea table or on the tea cart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty teacups! I particularly like the chintz. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new teacups - pink is always pretty! Enjoy that cuppa tea in one soon. Nice to spend birthday bucks isn't it? Birthdays are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love your new tea cups!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooh, I would love to find one of those chintz cups. The vintage ones are usually out of my price range!
    Last time I bought a Gracie teacup at Marshall's, I had to take it back. The upper edge on the teacup was rough and unglazed--hopefully, it was just a fluke because they really do have some pretty teacups at great prices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday. I do wish we had fun stores like those closer, but alas...Great birthday selfies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now what else would a tea lady spend their money on. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty. I know you will enjoy using them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!