Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A different kind of birthday cake!

My birthday gift from my friend Susan this year was both beautiful AND delicious: a cake she specially made to fit this giant Lacy Owl design cup and saucer, and with icing roses embellished with edible glitter. Oh. My. Goodness! This cup alone is actually more than 5 inches across, so the cake is actually large enough that I got to enjoy quite a few servings and even share with my husband. (A little. A very little.)

Susan is one of the best bakers around, so anyone lucky enough to get one of her treats knows they are lucky indeed. When she arrived at my house the other day bearing a cake box, I knew I was going to love whatever was inside. I still want her to teach me to make these gorgeous icing roses—which she claims are super easy—but meanwhile, I have been delighted to eat the ones on this giant birthday teacup cake! Both cake and icing are simply out of this world. Mmmmmmm …

This time, it's hard to say whether I'm more enamored of the food or the serving piece! This pretty aqua plate from 222 Fifth is the exact shade of turquoise as another 222 Fifth teacup I bought not long ago.

And as Susan quickly pointed out (since we both love lace), the owls are lacy ones! I think this is such a clever idea, but alas, I don't have my friend's skill set to ever make such a specialty cake, though I'm certainly happy I got to eat and enjoy one!

9 comments:

  1. I would like to say Happy Birthday to you. Such a beautiful and thoughtful gift you received from your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special treat for a special friend! Happy belated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fabulous! I LOVE the huge teacup...latte cup??? and the cake is wonderful. How fun for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful cake, and how imaginative of your friend to think of baking your cake in a teacup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about this is beautiful! Lucky you!
    I would like to know how to make those icing roses too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so nice.......Lace owls are pretty too. I learned something new about you today -- a lace fan. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not big on owls but I really like these lacy owls. When you learn how to make the frosting roses please share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful and delicious birthday gift! And just the right color too! Your beach house kitchen will soon be well stocked! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!