Thursday, May 7, 2015

Hats, lingerie and … tea?

When I was at the Hats and Hooves Derby Affair at the McRitchie-Hollis Museum in Newnan over the weekend, I couldn't resist taking photos of some of the vintage hats they had on display.

Our local museum has always had a wonderful collection of clothing and textiles, and these hats are some of the most gorgeous vintage hats I've ever seen. Many of these hats were donated by State Representative Lynn Smith of Newnan from her personal collection.

The McRitchie-Hollis House also has an ongoing exhibit titled "Naughty Newnan," which traces the evolution of ladies' lingerie.

I so enjoy learning about the history of these vintage pieces, and the exhibit does a fine job of chronicling these undergarments and designer lingerie dating from the 1850s to the 1990s.

I love how the museum has many pieces displayed on furnishings throughout the house.

Some vintage jewelry was included in the exhibit as well.

These gorgeous pastels certainly caught my eye!

There is even a set of lingerie handmade by nuns in New Orleans for the trousseau of a young bride about 1915. If you'd like to see the hats and the "Naughty Newnan" exhibit for yourself, may I kindly suggest you visit on Saturday, May 16, at 2:30 p.m.? Why? Because that's when I'll be there speaking on the evolution of tea in the South! To learn more about upcoming Newnan-Coweta Historical Society programs, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love vintage hats! And jewelry, too - I've not seen much vintage lingerie but I think I'd love it, too. I would consider driving down to hear your talk, except that both my daughters and my granddaughter will be visiting me on the 16th! Another time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun exhibit. This is one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - I just love "vintage" never tire of looking at these beauties. I wish I lived closer, would love to hear you speak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could attend. This looks like a lovely museum

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun exhibit - and clever title, 'Naughty Newnan'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!