Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The little tea filter that couldn't …


So I've made a couple of visits now to our new Publix. It's probably a sign of middle age when you get excited about a grocery store opening, but there it is. So on a recent visit, I was surprised and delighted to discover a package of 100 individual tea filters for just $2.99, and by a vendor I'd not heard of before!

Fill 'n Brew, it said.

But … but … but. If you fill these little guys, you're gonna be picking up tea leaves! See this opening? That's it. There's no way to close these tea bags. They don't fold over upon themselves like some do, and there's no extra-long filter to hang over the side of a cup. My rowdy little tea leaves were soon plotting their escape, and I ended up just hanging the (wet and messy) tea bag over the rim of the cup and letting some liquid dribble down the side while my tea steeped, which was not exactly what I'd hoped for. I must have bought a dozen different types of tea filter over the years, but my goodness, this is the first batch I've ever bought that aren't designed to close! Who knew such a thing existed? (I do now, alas.)

6 comments:

  1. I bought a little tea click to use when I'm camping. https://marktwendell.com/tea-click-paper-tea-filter-holder.html It's easy to use and I prefer not to put tea leaves down the sink in our travel trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for warning us, Angela! Those filter bags sure sound like a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got some like that with a tea pin. It is a long hat pin that the bag hangs on. The pin rests on the cup for brewing. Not great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad that they are so short. I wonder if you could use them with a pin stuck through the top or something clipping it shut?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bought similar filters by Finum but theirs come with a stick:
    https://www.finum.com/portfolio/cup-size-100-filters/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, good concept but not so good execution! Thanks for the warning, if I had been in Publix and found these, I'd have tried them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!