Wednesday, March 15, 2023

A swanky new glass


As I was packing up all of my red decor from Valentine's Day/Month, I found the Swanky Swig I acquired earlier this year and realized I'd been meaning to ask you all an important question! I've *known* about Swanky Swigs for years but had never seen one in the wild (at an antique mall or thrift store). When I came across this one at a local antique mall for just a few dollars and it had a teakettle on it, I had to have it. Turns out, this one is named the Bustlin' Betsy.


I got home and looked up this article about Swanky Swigs and read, "Most Americans have heard the term Swanky Swigs and typically apply it to all vintage, decorated tumblers." Yes? Do you think it's true that "most" Americans know the term? Do you?


These small (3-3/4-inches tall) vintage glasses used to hold Kraft cheese spread, and I think the designs are just charming. This is the other side of the glass.


And I do believe there's a teacup pictured! So had you heard of Swanky Swigs? I'd love to know!

8 comments:

  1. That's a cute glass that you found with the tea kettle and tea cup! And no, I'm pretty sure that most Americans have NOT heard of "Swanky Swigs"! I had certainly never heard that term before, and I'm in my 70's. My family never bought the Kraft cheese spreads that those little glasses originally contained. But my parents loved to go to flea markets (and they often had tables selling things there), and I'm sure they bought and sold some of those glasses, but they never called them Swanky Swigs. If you had shown me your cute little glass, Angela, and asked me what it was, I would have said it was a jelly glass. We certainly had those when I was growing up, and we used them as juice glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nancy in northeast IowaMarch 15, 2023 at 2:11 PM

    I had never heard of swanky swigs until I started collecting depression glass....that was when I became familiar with the term. There used to be a newspaper like publication called "The Daze" that I subscribed to(this was before the days of computers, etsy and facebook) and there would be long listings of them in it. I am also in my 70's and I do remember seeing them in the grocery store as a child. I think we even had a few of them in my mom's kitchen although, at that time, we just referred to them as the "little glasses".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute glass. I've never heard of Swanky Swigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also in my seventies and collect glassware and dishes, but have never heard of Swanky Swigs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I know what Swanky Swigs are. In fact, I have quite a collection of them in all different patterns. They are fun to collect, don't cost too much and don't take up too much room. Perhaps this is just the start of your new collection. Elaine (in
    Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I have never heard of Swanky Swigs, but I am glad I have now! I agree with Vernona...it reminds me of a jelly glass. And I would be surprised if most Americans have heard that term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that last comment is from Susan in NC!

      Delete
  7. This American had never heard the term “Swanky Swigs” until I read about it on your blog. I was familiar with the jelly jar juice glasses, and I have a couple of them, but not that name. I love that the one you found has a teacup in the picture! I will pay more attention when I see them in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!