Monday, March 13, 2023

The sharing of the green


I guess I had St. Patrick's Day on the brain when I was out antiquing the other day, because I spotted several new green things that wouldn't normally have been on my shopping radar.


My favorite find of the day was this sugar and creamer set with the shamrocks. I have only one shamrock teapot and one shamrock teacup, so it was lovely to find this set for just $12.


The pieces are marked Royal Tara Fine Bone China, Made in Galway, Republic of Ireland. I don't believe I have any other tea wares from Ireland.


I also found a chintzy (but cute) little plastic shamrock pin and an old metal cookie cutter in the shape of a four-leaf clover. It's okay with me to mix the two shapes, but the three leaves on the shamrock are said to represent the Holy Trinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, so I like it best!


Other fun finds at this particular mall: some small footed sherbet dishes (maybe?) that I spotted more than a month ago and forgot to pick up on my way out. I didn't want to carry them around with me and just knew I would remember to go back for them, but alas, I didn't. Since they were only $2 each, I just knew someone would have grabbed those, and I was quite happy when I returned and they were still there. These are great for serving chicken salad or fruit at a tea party.


The upturned base/foot/pedestal (I'm not sure what to call it) is so wide that I'm wondering whether the pieces had some particular use, like maybe being paired with a saucer or something. I even looked up the photo with Google Lens, yet I never saw a similar dish with this wide of a base. If you happen to have any ideas about this design, I'd love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. I love your creamer and sugar bowl set! I have no ideas about the unusual foot on those sherbet dishes but I can see many uses for them. My grandson loves when I make jello for him in similar pieces. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Royal Tara creamer and sugar bowl! I have their mini creamer in that pattern--it has a different shape, and is smaller. I hope to get a matching mini sugar bowl someday, but they are quite expensive. You were really lucky to find your set at such an inexpensive price! You were also lucky that those nice sherbet dishes "waited" for you in that shop! I don't know why the bases are so large--maybe just to counterbalance the wide tops?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look like you are all set for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gailtobin10@gmail.comMarch 14, 2023 at 3:02 PM

    Love your new found treasures. Thanks for sharing.💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an idea on those dishes, but I like them. Good find. Love your shamrock find too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!