Wednesday, March 22, 2023

In search of an 'Iced Tea' dahlia!


Every spring, it seems, I get a bee in my bonnet to go looking for plants with “tea” in the name. I’d been reading a new book that mentioned that dahlias are not that hard to grow, so I told myself, “Self, let’s go find a dahlia with tea in the title!” And before I knew it, I was chasing down an “Ice (or Iced) Tea” dahlia tuber. Now Swan Island Dahlias is apparently the granddaddy of dahlia purveyors, with a beautiful website, and that’s where I first saw the image of this dahlia. Its gorgeous ombre coloring reminds me of my "grombre" hair when I was growing out the gray a few years back, a topic dear to my heart since the #grombre movement (seriously! it’s a thing!) is a topic in my next cozy mystery. So this ombre dahlia was one I had to have, only … "Sold out! Out of stock!" the website said.


Do you know where I found this dahlia, though? Etsy! Would you have thought to look on Etsy for plants? Only a random Google search led me there. My two dahlia tubers have arrived, and they're the sort of things only a mother could love, but I'll be doing my best to nurture them and keep them alive!

And, of course, if you spot any plants with “tea” in the title while you’re at the garden centers this spring, I would sure love to hear about them!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Dahlia! I found The High Tea Lily. I wonder if it is really an afternoon tea lily? HA! The description sounds like a cup of tea!
    Lily tea is an Easter species planted on Himalaya Range. It has deep smell that will put you as if you were in a spell of getting new kinds of experience. Its smell will help you feel relaxed, while appreciating the beauty of lily at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I am still waiting for the feet of snow to melt. No gardening plans for at least another month or more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea Etsy sold plants. The picture is so pretty. I hope it produces lots of flowers for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep trying to get the Iced Tea dahlia from Swan Island. I got it last year and love, love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!