Friday, March 24, 2023

"Afternoon Tea in the Park" … circa 1906


The Library of Congress website seems to have added a lot more tea images since I last pored over them. This one, a stereographic image from 1906, is titled "Afternoon Tea in the Park, Kensington Gardens, London, England."


Here's a close-up of the image. It's kind of hard to tell, but I think maybe that's a floral design on those umbrellas. Or do you think it's lace? At any rate, I'm impressed by the fancy dress and by the lengths they went to for "tea in the park" that day. And wouldn't you love to know what was on the menu!

3 comments:

  1. I think the umbrellas have a floral pattern. It would be neat to know the menu. Looks like a great way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun photograph to think about! Even when I enlarge it further, I can't tell if the umbrellas have lace or a floral pattern. It's interesting that one of the gentlemen is wearing a top hot, but the others are not. Yes, I would definitely like to know what they are eating! And what they are discussing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you share these vintage tea time pictures. Oh and Kensington Palace is so special too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!