Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Recommended reading: "Lady Clementine" by Marie Benedict


"The comforting scent of steeping tea rises to my nostrils, and I allow the steam to warm my face and hands."

"Miss Hall, why don't you join me for a cup of tea? It will calm you."

"… I had the uniforms tailored and paired them with the Red Cross berets. By the time I wore the uniform to my send-off tea with the queen, I almost felt like myself in the attire."


— From Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict

I rarely read an author twice, so I find it somewhat astonishing that I have just read and enjoyed my third novel by Marie Benedict. Lady Clementine, the most recent selection of my book group, is a fascinating imagining of the life of Clementine Churchill, the wife of Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Churchill was merely a rising politician when they first met, and it was intriguing to read of how they both sensed some important political destiny in their future. Both were raised by wayward (to put it mildly) mothers, and Clementine herself admits to some deficiencies in the mothering department. Yet her important role in shoring up her husband—and influencing him regarding causes she cared about—makes it clear that Churchill's legendary leadership and successes were, very possibly, Winston and Clementine's leadership and successes. (The fictional Clementine notes, by the way, that her name rhymes with Josephine. For many years, I pronounced it the American way, to rhyme with valentine.)

Until I read this book, I wasn't aware that Clementine Churchill was very much the counterpart to our Eleanor Roosevelt, and I quite enjoyed the chapter of the book where the two ladies meet. Most women I know have had plenty of time to ponder their role(s) in life, and on that note, it was interesting to see Clementine navigating her self-forged role as her husband's equal, not mere political window dressing. (The tea mentions above, by the way, were fun to note, but don't imagine that this book is about Clementine taking tea. She's much more likely to be power-brokering a deal alongside her husband or personally serving as a fire watcher on a British rooftop during the Blitz!)

When my online book group met to discuss Lady Clementine, I wasn't surprised to learn that many of us, during our reading, stopped to google various accounts in the book to see if thus-and-so really happened. Usually, it did. Often, it at least could have happened that way.

I was supposed to hear Marie Benedict speak at our Carnegie Library here in Newnan in early 2020. But of course world events changed that spring, and the event was canceled. Will we get another chance to hear from her? I sure hope so! I also enjoyed her Carnegie's Maid and The Mystery of Mrs. Christie. Now I'm looking forward to reading her books about actress Hedy Lamarr and Mileva Maric, Albert Einstein's first wife. Have you read any of Marie Benedict's books? I'd love to know!

9 comments:

  1. I DID read Benedict's "Carnegie's Maid," and enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for bringing the novel about Clementine Churchill to our attention. I see that Churchill's daughter Mary Soames wrote a book about her mother, called "Clementine Churchill: The Biography of a Marriage," which I think I'll read, now that you've reminded me of Clementine. As a long time history nerd, I prefer actual biographies of historical figures to novels about them. But I know that everybody else isn't necessarily thrilled with the idea of reading a 700-page bio, like I am! If a novel gets you interested in real history, that's great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what you think of that book, Vernona. Often, I read the novel first and then go back and read more actual history about someone/something. Suddenly, I'm interested in all things Churchill!

      Delete
    2. I'll let you know when I read that book by the Churchils's daughter! Last year my history & biography book cub read a huge bio of Winston, and I found it interesting that he and Clementine always took separate vacations. It was just so intense living with him, that poor Clementine had to have SOME vacation time to herself to recover!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I have read and enjoyed all but ‘The Other Einstein’. Great writer, I hope she keeps going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great review. I’m going to search for this book right now! I hadn’t recalled the author’s name until I saw you mention “The Other Einstein”, which I listened to as an audiobook early in Covid (while I would do PT exercises after my shoulder surgery!) and was both impressed and saddened about her life. I’ll have to check out Marie’s other books now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me again! I’ve also read “The Personal Librarian” by her - another great one.

      Delete
  4. You have the best timing. I finished up a book last night and was looking around to see what to read next. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the book recommendation. I will be checking it out. Love books from the era and haven't read anything about Churchill's wife.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!