Friday, January 26, 2024

"The Friend in Adversity"


I hadn't stalked the Library of Congress for teatime images in a while, and this week, I found one that was a new discovery, "The Friend in Adversity," painted by E. Prentis (1797-1854) and with Henry S. Sadd listed as "engraver" and W. L. (Waterman Lilly) Ormsby (1809-1883) as printer. The Library of Congress Summary says this: "Print shows a man, possibly ill or otherwise in despair, seated in a chair before a fireplace in his bedroom, a woman sitting next to him, comforts him with kind words; a teapot steams in the fireplace and dark clouds pass beyond the window in the background."

The faint type may be hard to read, but it says this: "Call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee and thou shalt glorify me." Psalm L, v. 15



Now, unless mine eyes deceive me, I'm guessing this woman is his wife, because that appears to be a canopy bed at right, and surely a single gentleman wouldn't be having a lady "friend" in his bedroom back then. (Well, actually, I'm sure some of them did, but I'm also pretty sure they didn't have the escapade painted and engraved!)

And I have questions. The teakettle is before the fire, but do you suppose that's a bowl of hot porridge and a Bible on the small table/chest near the lady? Maybe she's pointing to heaven and telling him to seek the Lord's help in his illness. At right, that looks like a writing desk on the table. It's got what appears to be a scarf or hankie on it. And what are those two things on the floor beneath that table? At first, I thought maybe they were leaves off a plant, but I don't see a plant. What is the object directly behind the writing desk? It has a handle, but it doesn't appear to be an umbrella. I welcome any observations you may wish to make!

 

7 comments:

  1. Nancy in northeast IowaJanuary 26, 2024 at 2:01 PM

    Am wondering if maybe that bowl isn't a mortar and pestle...if he's ill, then it would have been used to grind up "stuff" to use in his treatment. Also like how the object on the curtain rod makes it appear as if she has a halo. It's fun, trying to figure out what the objects are, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting picture. The things on the floor kind of look like oyster shells, but that would make absolutely no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought that the bowl on the side table might have medicine in it. And like Nancy, I also noticed how the curtain rod forms a "halo" over the woman! I'm guessing that the cloth on the table with the writing desk IS a handkerchief, perhaps with blood on it--it looks like the man might have consumption (tuberculosis, which was a common fatal disease of that era)) and has been coughing (note that he has his hand on his chest and his head is slightly bent over). The things on the floor under the writing desk/table are crumpled pieces of paper--either letters or poems that he tried to write, but unsuccessfully. And the odd thing with the handle by the writing desk? Perhaps it's a spindle for holding notes or bills--maybe it's to show that the poor gentleman has a lot of debts, since he's too sick to work. I'm sure we could all collaborate to write an interesting short story about this situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're probably right about the wife, Bible, and porridge (or soup?) but I don't have a clue about the rest. You find some interesting pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela - I copied the link but it didn't really seem right. Look at Ebay as Feb 3 there will be a June Roses Winton breakfast set auctioned........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I see the handle is missing on the creamer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!