Monday, January 29, 2024

An easy and delicious recipe for old-fashioned Molasses Bread


Local readers know that I write a monthly cooking column for a free publication called The Weekly, and the latest recipe was so simple and good that I wanted to share it here!

I found the recipe in one of my many vintage recipe booklets, and it struck me as a nice change from the overly sweet, rich desserts that many of us had over Christmas. It's an easy-to-prepare loaf of Molasses Bread that sounded perfect for wintertime, and I had some of this bread right out of the oven with a little jam. You can also serve it lightly toasted and buttered for a breakfast treat. It’s got just enough sugar and molasses to make it slightly sweet, and I can see why this vintage recipe has stood the test of time.

But perhaps the best compliment came from my friend Carolyn, who, after she saw the recipe on my Facebook page, said, "I cooked a loaf of this Friday morning, and it was a big hit!" By Saturday night, she said, "Almost gone and there are just two of us.” Now that's what I like to hear!

Molasses Bread


1 large egg

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup molasses

1/4 cup melted shortening

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2/3 cup buttermilk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat egg until light and fluffy, then add sugar, molasses, and shortening and blend well. In separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk and combine. Bake in a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan for about 1 hour and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.













3 comments:

  1. It does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! That bread sounds good, and certainly easy to make. I've never had molasses bread before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!