Wednesday, March 9, 2022

A vintage Sadler tea mug … and some random thrifted treasures


With the busy month I just had, I almost forgot to share some of my latest thrifted finds! The one I'm most proud of is this Sadler tea mug. I've got quite a few Sadler teapots, but I don't recall ever seeing a Sadler tea mug before. I was perusing the wares at Salvation Army in Carrollton the other weekend when I spotted this behind some coffee mugs. I thought it was bone china, and it was.


And when I saw the Sadler back stamp, I decided to part with the 50 cents they were asking for it!



I realize most of us who like vintage china also have a weakness (some might view it as a strength!) for old glassware. I've never really been that wild about Goofus glass, but I've always been intrigued by it. And the last time I was out thrifting, I was thinking about ideas for the vintage valentine's cookbook I plan to write (like the Vintage Christmas Cookbook but with lots of pink and red and roses and hearts among the vintage recipes). As soon as I saw this $4.99 plate, I realized it reminded me of some gold-embellished vintage postcards I've got, and it would be perfect for a valentine's feature, so I decided this needed to come home with me as well. (If you're curious about Goofus glass, there's a helpful article on it here.)


Another book idea I've had steeping for years has to do with alligators, of all things, and when I saw this piece at the thrift store, I went back and forth about whether to get it. It was just $3 and some change, but did I need it? Well, no. I left it. Then I remembered that I have regretted the things I didn't buy much more often than the things I did buy, and something told me to go back and get this, as it may end up in one of my books one day. I'm not sure when and where or why, but at least I won't regret leaving this sweet alligator behind. Besides, it can be a pen or paper clip holder, I decided. I can't think of a teatime use for the alligator piece just yet, but give me time!


7 comments:

  1. Pretty mug! I'd say you got a bargain for 50 cents. I was not familiar with "goofus glass" although I do love Depression Glass, so thanks for the link to the article. Now I know what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cute little alligator souvenir dish! I definitely would have bought it. The Goofus piece is, um, rather odd, but to each her own! I had never heard of that type of glass before, so it's interesting to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vernona, I find your honesty so refreshing! And I probably won't ever become a collector of Goofus glass, but I can *appreciate it* now, if that makes sense!

      Delete
  3. I’ve never heard of Goofus glass, so thanks for sharing the link. Your new plate is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is the first piece of it that I was ever even tempted to buy!

      Delete
  4. My precious Grandma had this exact kind of alligator souvenir !!! I love it <3 !!!~tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also didn't know Sadler made mugs. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!