Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Serendipity with a tea towel


The other week, my friend Ann texted to say that she'd been invited to tea and was asked to wear a "tea party hat." Did I have any idea where she could get one? Ann is also my Bible study leader on Thursday mornings, so I told her I had several and would take them to class for her to check out that week. She liked the rose-colored wide-brimmed hat and said it would be perfect with the outfit she planned to wear. Now that was certainly no big deal to me, and I imagine many of you, too, have loaned hats and all sorts of tea wares over the years. Ann said the tea was lovely, and when she returned the hat, she mentioned that she had tucked something in the bag with it. Probably a thank-you note, I thought. Only later that day did I remember what she'd said and looked inside the bag to discover this charming tea towel she stitched for me! Did you notice how perfectly it matches my new Sadler mug from the Salvation Army?


I love a handmade gift so much, and I was just so touched that Ann would make this for me. I knew from her Facebook posts that she has one of those fancy embroidery machines that she uses to make darling clothes for her young grandchildren, but I don't guess I realized she also made goodies like this.


And those colors! I don't believe we've ever had an occasion to talk about our favorite colors, so I'm a bit mystified that she chose a color palette featuring my favorites. What a great gift!

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful and thoughtful gift, for sure, and perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is amazing that her pretty tea towel perfectly matched your newly-acquired cup from the Salvation Army! And I'm glad that you had the perfect hat to lend her for her tea party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a simple case of one-good-turn-deserves-another. That tea towel is gorgeous. (So is your pretty teacup!)

    My sister goes to the Kentucky Derby every year - she is an alumni of U of K, and both her two youngest daughters attend there as well. She came over last week telling me all about this horrible online shopping experience she had buying a Derby hat. I about spit my tea out....um. sis, you DO realize I have two shelves in my closet with tea party hats, do you not? Apparently her brain never made the connection that a proper Victorian afternoon tea party hat is exactly what a Derby hat would be......so boy oh boy was it fun to show her all my hats. She couldn't narrow down a decision so borrowed 3 of them..............and about had a heart attack when I placed them in beautiful hat boxes to take home. My sister scares me sometimes, haha.

    Love you shared - it is always REALLY fun to feel as though one is properly attired for such occasions. And yes, some gloves went home with her too. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a pretty tea towel and in just the right colors for you. I am sure your friend enjoyed the loan of a hat for the tea party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!