Thursday, November 12, 2009

On footed teacups

The footed teacup, I must confess, has never held much charm for me. I've got a friend who collects footed teacups exclusively, but I generally prefer that my teacup park its derriere firmly and quietly in my saucer and stay there until it's time to get up. I've always thought footed teacups were show-offs, mavericks, the look-at-me drama queens of the teacup world.

And yet, I came home with three of them yesterday. Why? I was visiting an estate sale and came across this set of three for $15 and thought they were simply beautiful! They are nice and large and, footed or no, the colors greatly appealed to me.

The yellow seems sunny and springlike, and the blue is a slightly darker hue of that pretty robin's egg blue I've been so smitten with for the past year or two.

All three sets were in great shape, and both the cups and saucers are marked Napco (National Potteries Corporation).

But the cup and saucer sets were really my second best buy of the day. The first was this bag of rhinestone jewelry findings for $1! There's a lime green rhinestone button that would make a great ring or brooch, and six of these lovely rhinestone balls, my favorite vintage jewelry embellishments in the whole world. There's also about a yard of rhinestone trim, which I'm sure I'll find a nice use for someday. I'll think about it while I'm sipping tea and becoming friends with one of my new *footed* teacups.

14 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. i wish i could visit that estate sale. what wonderful finds you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks like quite an estate sale. I love the footed teacups with their pretty florals and soft pastel stripe. What a deal on the rhinestone findings - can't wait to see what lovely projects they'll adorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They are really beautiful. The rhinestones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely- you got a steal! I know you're gonna find some great project with that bag of goodies too.

    BTW- you were right on with my mystery crocheted piece- THANK YOU! Visit me- I have it posted & completed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the footed teacups as the first find of the day. They're some good-looking ones I wouldn't mind drinking out of. I'm now looking for a China teacup myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! Great deals too, I love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely teacups. So very dainty, and a beautiful mixture of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds. I generally am not enamored with footed teacups either. A friend gave me a couple recently and I find they tip easily and don't hold much. Your teacups look more stable and like they would hold more. Love the rhinestones. I will look forward to hearing what you do with them. I started making the re-gift today, but at the rate I am going it will still be awhile (plus I am making 6 different ones).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, these are beautiful tea cups! and the rhinestones are neat too. You have such a good eye for 'all things neat.' I so enjoy visiting your site - I feel like I am right there, wherever you go. Thanks for the post and have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love footed cups, and I especially love the delicate legged style. I have two little cups that stand very prettily on their tripods. Tea tastes so sweet from them, no sugar needs to be added.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the great estate sale bargains!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!