Friday, November 13, 2009

New RTD teas

A visit to the discount store Big Lots turned up two new ready-to-drink (or RTD) teas, as they are now called. I love the packaging of this Bigelow Mocha Chai Latte Creamy Spiced Black Tea ($1 for 10.5 ounces). Somehow, I couldn't quite get past thinking I was drinking watery chocolate milk. When I tasted it slowly and thoughtfully, I realized I actually like all the flavors (and with 30 grams of sugar in the drink, of COURSE I liked it!). So while the tastes were all pleasant enough, I think I simply prefer my chai latte to be hot. But hey, now I have a pretty bottle for some future craft!

Next up: Function House Call Honey Green Tea (70 cents for 16.9 ounces). This was interesting because it says "Created by Physicians." And the little box on the front of the label says "Boost your immune system with this daily defense against the common cold. This formula, rich in vitamins and powerful macronutrients chlorella and beta glucon, keeps you healthy." Then on the side it says, "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease." But enough legalese. How did it taste? It had a pleasant and fruity flavor, and it's made with cane juice instead of sugar. Having tried quite a few of these type drinks in recent months, I have to say today's "healthy" teas and waters are all starting to taste alike to me, and so far there's not one that really stands out above another.

Big Lots also has a new canned tea that is tangerine flavor, but I wasn't willing to spend $2 on four large cans of something I'd never heard of. I guess $1 is my maximum for discount store RTD tea sampling! Have you tried any new RTD teas lately? If so, I'd love to hear about them!

6 comments:

  1. My favorite RTD tea is Publix fresh brewed Green Tea with Ginseng & Honey, found in the deli section. I know it's not a grab bottle, but it is ready made and it's delicious.
    It contains real sugar & honey instead of high fructos corn syrup which is important to me.
    For those, who like me needs a boost of energy, this works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this but have not tried it, so it's nice to know it has the STC seal of approval! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top bottle is very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you must go shopping more than I do. I just don't see the things you find. Of course, not visiting the store must have something to do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't yet but I'm going to try Lipton Sparkling. It's probably not much of a tea but I want to know what it's like. I follow them on Twitter and they have some of the most interesting links to fun and funny stuff online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes an icy Chai Latte can be just the thing, but most of the time I too prefer to drink it hot. I haven't tried any new RTD teas lately, but I may make a trip to Big Lots to try these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!