Monday, November 16, 2009

Mango and Ginger Scones






Do you have a favorite spice? I think ginger has slowly been replacing cinnamon as my favorite spice. My husband recently came home with a gift of some Ginger Peach Green Tea from Republic of Tea, and I have been enjoying cups of it every night. Over the weekend I decided to use up a mango I had sitting in the fridge by combining it with candied ginger in some scones, and the results were quite yummy. Fresh out of the oven, the hot fruit flavor accented by the zippy ginger was just a great fall combination. I'm also planning to try these with a teaspoon or two of powdered ginger for those times when candied ginger isn't available. In case you'd like to try these yourself, following is the recipe.



Mango and Ginger Scones

2 cups all purpose-flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup candied ginger, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh mango, diced into 1/2-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a scone pan with cooking spray. (My scone pans are from Williams-Sonoma, and I heartily recommend them!) In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add pieces of chilled margarine and combine using a pastry blender until the mixture consists of pea-sized crumbs. Stir in the ginger and mango until well coated with flour mixture.

In separate bowl, whisk milk and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Spoon batter into pan and bake for about 17 minutes or until lightly browned. Yields 16 mini scones.

7 comments:

  1. Your scones look really good - nice photos. I enjoy ginger and sometimes will eat the candied ginger right out of the jar. Chocolate covered ginger is also yummy. Adding the mango sounds like a delicious combo for the scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do the ginger, but LOVE the scone pan. I don't recall having seen it when I went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Ginger Peach tea, yummm!
    My husband's favorite spice is ginger. We always laugh when we go out for Asian food as he always orders something with ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fresh ginger in both baked goods, and in my cooking. It has such a pleasant aroma. Your scone recipe is one I hope to try soon, looks delicious.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this great recipe - by the way - your box is on the way! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not try fresh grated ginger? When not in use I freeze my ginger root in the freezer in a baggie. MUCH better than the powdered kind! I know I will enjoy baking these scones! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, two of my favorite things combined into a scone. I'll have to try these sometime. King Arthur used to see that scone pan, don't know if they still do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!