Monday, February 16, 2009

Tea at Seven Springs


For the sixth year in a row, my sweetheart has treated me to afternoon tea for Valentine's Day, and this year we went to a totally new (to me) tearoom, Tea at Seven Springs in Powder Springs, Ga. My tea friend Beth had praised this tearoom after visiting, and now that I have been myself I see why she was so impressed. This is a tearoom that did everything right. We had a short wait and were soon seated by a gracious hostess. The atmosphere was quiet and soothing and there was pretty instrumental music playing in the background.


About halfway through our tea, Alex said he believed the food was as good as we've ever had in a tearoom, and I had to agree with him. For our teas I selected the Earl Grey Supreme and he got the Darjeeling (from Harney & Sons, always a plus). Next came a teacup holding a serving of homemade vegetable soup (chunky and delicious) accompanied by a small cheddar cheese biscuit. Then, out came our three-tiered tray bearing a variety of goodies. The scones were large, round, powdered-sugared and chocolate chippy, with a texture we both found interesting: flaky but light exterior, moist and light interior. Fabulous! There was also a cup of frozen fruit salad and some fresh fruit. The sandwiches were cucumber, pimiento cheese (with pretty stacked layers), bacon and tomato on pumpernickel, and chicken salad on croissants. All yummy, and not a soggy one in the bunch. Finally, dessert! We had brownies with fudge sauce and a cherry on top, what I believe were white chocolate covered cream puffs, strawberry mousse in tart shells, and my favorite, raspberry cheesecake topped with mini-white chocolate chips. You will not leave this place hungry!


I asked if I could snap a few photos and our server told me to take all I wanted. I liked this huge teapot bearing a floral arrangement on the mantel.



There were about three other tables occupied while we were there, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, from a table of ladies to a young couple with a very well-behaved little boy who sat next to us!


The tearoom also had a very well-stocked gift shop, and I left with a rosy porcelain spoon, a necklace and earrings. Just doors away are more shops that might be of interest to tea-goers: a country store featuring primitives with a quilt section opening in early March, a consignment store, a used book store, and a store of country French antiques (named "Refind") that surely is one of the prettiest, most charming and elegant antique stores I've visited in quite a while. Of all the gifts my husband gives me, these Valentine's Day tea trips will always be my favorite!

13 comments:

  1. awww your hubby knows how to treat you like a queen! thanks for sharing about this lovely tea. the pictures are just lovely. i adore the bouquet in the teapot also! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy tearooms where you leave "pleasantly full." Thanks for sharing the photos and detailed menu. I'm always looking for tea rooms to visit as we travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a great time. I think I will give this a try as well. I love wandering through other close by towns to see & compair to our own. Also, Thanks for the info on the cook book - you'll know where to find me this afternoon!

    P.S. To parTea Lady- your new picture looks Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tearoom looks quite charming, and your tea table looks and sounds delicious. I, too, love that dramatic mantle arrangement. What a nice way to spend a romantic holiday, Angela. Glad you had a "honey" of an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - where did you find a man who would take you to tea on Valentines Day? What a sweet-heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice Valentine tradition. My hubbie gave me a pretty pair of silver & crystal teapot earrings.

    Your post today brings back such pleasant memories. We were staying at Fairfield Plantation in Villa Rica and decided to travel to the tearoom in Powder Springs. I'm glad the food sounds as delicious as it was last June.

    The scones were so good (almond) that I purchased some to take back to the resort. My grandson was with us (it was his first tearoom visit) and he loved his special childrens plate. I really enjoyed this tearoom and hope to visit again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun Valentine's Day! I'll admit I'm a little jealous that your DH thought up this idea. I don't think my DH would go to a tea room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have a sweet DH who now and then will accompany me to a special tea room. But only if there's something a tad manly and non-dainty--like Sheperd's Pie-- on the menu. Then he will gladly down a pot of tea with me and nod his head when I suggest something sweet to go with his hearty entree. It sounds like you had a lovely Valentine's Day with your hubby... He sounds like a keeper to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a wonderful, lovely time together. I think i would like to visit this place. tammyp

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet!!! I might have to go when I take my 3 week (mini) sabbatical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I wish I lived in GA!! Both tea houses in my area have closed and another one is closing at the end of the month. All victims of our state of the union. I love to have tea parties at home with family and friends but its nice to go out and be served sometimes too. You are a lucky girl and such a lovely menu and decor you enjoyed! Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like he was worth the wait! Perhaps your husband should teach a course! A generous man for a generous lady. I am glad you had a wonderful Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Boy..looks like my kinda place!Thanks for sharing these fun photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!