Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kate Greenaway & Tea



The British artist Kate Greenaway (1846-1901) is someone I first got to know in the pages of the old Victoria magazine back when it was in the habit of shining a light on women artists and writers. Greenaway's drawings were quite lovely, and when I got into crazy quilting in the early '90s and began to study the earliest examples, I learned that vintage crazy quilts would often incorporate a Kate Greenaway drawing as an embroidery motif.


Yesterday I attended my first Collins and Wood tag sale of the year, and though I left with several goodies, my favorite find was this tiny (4x4-inch) and thrifty (just $1) copy of "Kate Greenaway's Birthday Book," in which I was surprised to find several little tidbits related to teatime. (But why should I be surprised that a famous British artist drew ladies at tea?)


An inscription tells me the book was given as a gift for Christmas 1963, so it's at least that old, but I'm more impressed that the publisher is Frederick Warne and Co. If the name seems familiar, that may be because you've seen "Miss Potter" (which had lots of great tea scenes) and recall that this company published the Beatrix Potter books. Beatrix Potter, Kate Greenaway ... it's so nice when the historic ladies I admire all seem to share a love for teatime!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful artwork! The book was a great find for $1. A find like that certainly puts a smile on the bargain hunter's face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great buy. I've never heard of her so am glad that you shared.
    Did everyone around you survive the storms yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Angela, I just love the movie, Miss Potter! Wasn't it a beautiful film? And, chock full of tea scenes. What a cute bargain you found. I am so jealous that you are already starting your tag/garage sale season.....up here we have at least another two months before we get in gear. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, just learned that at the moment Alex and I were outside last evening snapping pictures of rainbows (really!), our publisher's house in north Coweta got huge hail and another co-worker's brothers both had houses damaged (one house had the roof ripped off!). So I consider us especially blessed this morning! (I assume you're OK or you wouldn't be reading blogs!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book is indeed a beauty! I have one of her books on flowers - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that artist from the pages of the old "Victoria" Magazine. In fact, I had even cut out that first illustration of the three young ladies enjoying their tea time because I was so enchanted with the artwork. Nice to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find and could be put out with a little collection of small books next to your tea things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely artwork and a great find. I must go back and look through some of my old Victoria magazines.

    Thanks for mentioning the tag sale. It inspired me to look up a site for estate sales that will notify me of sales within l00 miles of my address. Did you find your treasures at the Dr. Jack Powell, Jr. estate sale? Is there a difference between estate sales and tag sales?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ParTea Lady, and yes, that was indeed the sale I went to. I've always called them "estate sales," but the sign when you get there says "tag sale," so now I use the terms interchangeably!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely book you found, congratulations on such a find! I was just looking the other day at the Ms. Potter movie and NOW I'll will definitely have to rent it. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. ParTea Lady, can you give a link to sign up for the estate sales? I'd love to know about the ones near Savannah!

    Ange, I LOVE the book, and I can just imagine the finds at the Powell sale. Oh, to be home in Newnan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy Bo, the link for the estate sales is: www.estatesales.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!