Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hanky-panky and tea


Finally! I always knew there *had* to be vintage handkerchiefs with tea stuff on them, I'd just never seen any. I was even at a trade show last month and mentioned this quest to a woman whose company reproduces vintage hankies. No, she said, she'd never seen a handkerchief with a teapot or teacup on it, but it would be a great idea, wouldn't it?

An afternoon visit to Collector's Corner in Sharpsburg, and the booth of my friend Angie, of all things, turned up THREE! I always knew she and I like a lot of the same things, I just never knew she was such a collector of handkerchiefs. She has them very neatly displayed, and monogrammed ones are even in a notebook where you can flip through and find the initial you desire. But I was of course attracted to the ones with tea images, like this pink one signed Jeanne Miller.



And Pat Prichard is the designer of these dark gray and bright blue hankies. I got all three for a total of $10, and I plan to use them as "art" on my walls, perhaps in my sewing room. Do you like old hankies? If so, I'd love to hear about them!

9 comments:

  1. Great find! My 95 year old Aunt Ida was never without an hankie so now I have several in my possession, but not a single tea-themed one in the bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, another unusual tea find. I think using the vintage handkerchiefs as art in your sewing room is a great idea. It's been awhile since I've been to Collector's Corner. It is so much fun to look through all those rooms in search of treasure, isn't it?

    Thanks for sharing another lovely find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what cute hankies angela! i do collect pretty ones i find for tussie mussies and just because i like them! i especially like one i found that has a little bear with a honeycomb and bee on it. i will post a pic of it on my blog after i charge my camera batteries.lol! i have never seen the tea themed one either but will keep an eye out! please share if you manage to find a square frame. i can never find a frame i want for mine, as they are all oblong shaped, which even when matted just won't look right! big hugs and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had curtains in my bedroom that looked a lot like this in the 60's.
    It's funny haowyou can walk in an antique mall and see something that brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfrey Cottages, I purchased a square frame off ebay a year or so ago. The seller was "frames4every1" and they have a store. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela,
    You have a gift for great finds. I especially like the grey one. I can't wait to see how you mount them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Hello there, Angela: Sorry I haven't been to your lovely site this week ("Amazing 'Interesting' Week...") will fill you in when next see you, but...I wanted to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the Great Valentine's Week that I enjoyed, because of your thoughtfulness. What a fun, spirit lifting site you have: great stories, beautiful photos, nice comments...it is truly a pleasure to "take a tea break" with your site!

    Your knowledge is so impressive and limitless...I just know someday you will have a "Special Events Place" (and gift shop) that I will be a fan of...

    In the meantime, thank you for brightening up the day (of not only "me" but for countless of other lucky readers)...

    God Bless You, Angela, aka: "Tea Guru..."

    Thanks for everything,

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks ginger, i will check it out! hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!