Thursday, February 5, 2009

This house knows tea - and celebrity!

Today I am wandering off the reservation and doing a post that has very little to do with tea, but I hope you'll join me anyway. This lovely house is the home of my town's former mayor, Gandy Glover, and it's a beauty. Homes like this are one reason Newnan is known as "The City of Homes." When I was a young newspaper reporter here 20 years ago, one of my first assignments was covering a women's club meeting held at the Glover home, and looking back at photos from the old article it appears they were actually having a tea. (My boss was the speaker, so I'm sure that's what I was most concerned about!) That same women's club is turning 100 years old this year, and they are again turning to Gandy's house as the site for a celebratory tea later this year. (The former mayor and DH are old friends. In fact, Gandy, a well-known local hunter, brought over a trap not long ago to help DH catch a possum that was terrorizing the cats. We ended up feeling sorry for the possum and let it go, but I digress.)

Anyway, Gandy's home is one of the jewels in the town's crown, and Hollywood thinks so too. The reason that vintage-looking hearse is in front of the house is that the movie "Get Low" is being filmed there right now, and the home will serve as the funeral home central to the movie. (If you want to read more about the movie, go to times-herald.com.) Stars include Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray, and my husband snapped this picture of Murray on Tuesday. Assuming Bill Murray was here on Monday as well, that means he was in Newnan on Groundhog Day! (Tea friend Bernideen, like me, counts this as a favorite movie.)

If you're a movie buff, you might enjoy skimming this article that was in our "movie issue" of the magazine a few years ago. Coweta County is the home of an honest-to-goodness movie studio, Riverwood Studios in Senoia, and that's one reason a lot of movies have come here to film. We even had Jessica Tandy twice, for "Driving Miss Daisy" and "Fried Green Tomatoes." Not too shabby, huh! Now if they'd only shoot a movie about tea!

8 comments:

  1. Angela: As usual, another great article and I'm glad to hear about this..."Groundhog Day" is one of my favorite movies too! Thanks for brightening a cold day...Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely home. I didn't know that Newnan was such a treasure trove of historical houses. Does the city do a yearly "tour of homes"? Newnan also sounds like a great place for movie buffs.

    Have you been to the Murray Bros. Caddyshack Restaurant at the World Golf Village in St. Augustine? It is owned by Bill Murray and his five brothers. He sometimes makes an appearance there, but we never ran into him during our several meals at the Caddyshack.

    Thanks for the great info and links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! I love stories about places people live and all the more special with Bill Murray in it. It is like a little travelog. The home looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm embarrased to say that I didn't know any filming was going on in town. I stopped my NTH subscription last year (sorry Angela)and haven't been in town in weeks! I might have to brave the cold and sit across the street at the Memorial Park and watch the filming- (in all my spare time that is!)Robert Duvall would be my target to stare at though. Love Robert Duval!!!! Maybe he would like to join us for Tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Angela. It looks like your hometown is graced with some very pretty architecture. Towns that have historical old homes and town or courthouse squares are so interesting, and the people who reside there are lucky.

    How exciting to watch the filming of a new movie as it progresses. Groundhog Day is one of my old favorites too, and I admit my DH and I watched it together on Monday night. It makes for a fun yearly tradition. Up here in "Brrrrrrrr" NJ we are eagerly awaiting spring!

    And, btw, thanks to Tuesday's entry, I've spent way too much time on eBay the last two days coveting some gorgeous Spiffy Spooners. I feel a possible new collection coming my way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post! I love that movie, Fried Green Tomatos! What a fun memory to make history with in your towns. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting Angela! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! That is a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!