Friday, February 6, 2009

A mystery "teapot"


Earlier this week, I wrote about an antique spooner I own, and I was delighted to learn that some of you, like me, had been unfamiliar with these pieces. So I happened to learn what those are, but there's so much more I don't know, like the purpose of this little piece.

It was $3, a recent junk store find, and it's clearly not a teapot because it's so small (6 inches wide, 4 inches tall) and thin (1-3/4 inches deep) and has a faux "lid." So, for the time being I am using this to hold my small steel crochet hooks.

On the bottom is stamped in blue-green ink (or paint?) the number 52/133. I cannot for the life of me figure out what this thing is. A wall pocket? No, there's no hole for hanging on the back. A vase for small flowers? Maybe. But why would you have made a "teapot" so thin? What was its intended purpose? If anyone has any theories, I'd love to hear them!

8 comments:

  1. Hmm, that is unusual. I would love to know the answer, but like you I can 'make-up' a use for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. My guess? A hat pin hoder from the 1800's. Let's hope someone can fill us in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever it is, it's a pretty little thing. Is it too big to have held calling cards? I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking a small vase myself. It's a beauty though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tea with Friends...just discovered your blog today and was soooo inspired by it that I started one of my own. As for what this treasure is meant for...I go for the flower vase option too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm.....now you've got my curiosity up! I hope someone out there will be able to define exactly what the item is meant to be used for, but for now I vote for what someone else said...a flower vase (for very small flowers.) Or hey, maybe a place to store several small silver tea spoons? A Q-tip holder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope we get to find out. I also think it could be for a posy on the tea table or dressing table or for hatpins as suggested by Teresa. It would be great to be able to ask an antiques expert, the numbers could refer to a limited edition firing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!