Monday, May 20, 2024

A funny thing happened on the way home from the history program …


The other night, I attended a local history program at the University of West Georgia’s Newnan campus. The topic was early education here in Coweta County, and I was intrigued to learn more about the College Temple female academy that once existed in Newnan, as I lived nearby on College Street when I was a young reporter just beginning my career in journalism. My friend Dorothy, whom I first met years ago through the historical society, had brought along a bag of goodies she’d been meaning to give me, and I was delighted to receive this chalk ware piece featuring two ladies at teatime.


Dorothy said she's at the stage of life where she’s trying to get rid of things (I need to be doing that, too, I suppose), and I believe she said she found it at one of our Atlanta-area antique markets. She joked about a little dust that came with it, but I’m a bit nervous about cleaning an old figurine like this, so before I apply any soap and water, I’m researching chalk ware to make sure I don’t do any damage. I especially love the ladies’ bonnets.


And of course it was fun to see the tea wares on the table as well.


Also in the bag? Two new-to-me teapot ornaments that Dorothy wanted to pass along. So I learned that one of the advantages of living in a small town is that you never know when you’ll show up for a history program and leave with a gift!

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet friend! Those 2 ladies at their tea table are darling, and teapot ornaments are always fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very cute chalkware piece! I'm glad it has found a good home with you.
    When I get rid of things, I like to use the term used by museums--"deaccessioning." It sounds much more elegant that "getting rid of"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ornaments will be perfect on your tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chalkware is a special Tea Time piece. The teapot ornaments are a bonus gift as well. So happy these were gifted to you. (Sandra)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!