Friday, December 29, 2023

Remembering Aunt Jane


I debated whether to mention this here, but so many of you have read my posts about my beloved Aunt Jane over the years that I wanted to let you know she passed away on Wednesday, and my family would sure appreciate your prayers as we prepare to say goodbye to her. Daddy had asked me to put something on Facebook that night so that friends and family would quickly hear the news, and before I wrote a post, I combed through some of my photos of Aunt Jane online. I am almost always the photographer at family events, so I was happy to find a photo of the two of us enjoying my niece's bridesmaids tea at the Swan House in Atlanta last fall.


It occurred to me that some of my favorite photos of my late mother and my aunt involved teatime, which I came to enjoy late in life. I wasn't a little girl who grew up having tea parties or going to them, and I was probably close to thirty before I ever had hot tea! Thank goodness the ladies in my family had so many happy teatimes together. This photo of my mother and Aunt Jane was taken at my house back before I married, and I love how happy they look. I strongly suspect that in addition to delighting in being in the presence of the Lord, we'll enjoy new teatimes when we get to heaven, and I'd love to think this is what it looked like for Aunt Jane sometime after she got there.


And this was another teatime, at the original Tea Leaves and Thyme in Woodstock, where my mother, aunt, sister, and nieces enjoyed tea together. Aunt Jane may have been mentally challenged, but she always, always enjoyed eating out. You can probably imagine how precious these teatime memories are to me now. So I'll close 2023 with a very personal post and my wish for you and your family to enjoy a happy and healthy 2024 together!

17 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you shared these pictures and memories of your Aunt Jayne. I always enjoyed reading about her, especially when the two of you went thrifting together. I send you my sympathy, and will be praying for your family as you go through this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed the spelling of her name in that comment, and autocorrect changed it again! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing a few memories of Aunt Jane. You and your family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Angela! I always enjoyed hear about Aunt Jane and your adventures! Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss.Like others have said reading about your outings with Aunt Jane was always a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sincere condolences to you on the passing of Aunt Jane. She has always sounded like someone who enjoyed life, in spite of its many challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss, Angela... I've so enjoyed your posts about Aunt Jane... delighted in your fun times together. God bless her, and you, and all of your family 🙏💖

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela, I am so sorry to hear of your aunt Jane’s passing and so sorry for your loss. I will just repeat what others have posted. I loved reading about your afternoons with your aunt. I am glad you have so many good memories. - Cara

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very sorry for your loss….it’s especially difficult at this time of year.
    I’m sure she was delightful and will be sorely missed. Thanks for sharing your blog, words and photos. Sincerely, V.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very sorry to hear of your Aunt Jane's passing and offer you and your family my sincere condolences. I remember when you first posted that first picture- you both look so lovely and Aunt Jane clearly looked so happy..
    Thinking of you.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great pics! I remember visiting Aunt Jane when we were little. Love you, Rho!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My condolences for the loss of your Aunt Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear. Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Aunt Jane always looked so joyful when she was with you. It was obvious how much you loved her and I also enjoyed your posts. Marian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for the loss of your Aunt Jane. I send my deepest sympathy to you and your family. I did enjoy seeing your posts of when you shared a day together; they were pictures with happy smiles. (Sandra D.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry for the loss of your sweet Aunt but glad for Heaven's gain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!