Friday, December 15, 2023

Here come Santa mugs!


Okay, fellow Baby Boomers! Who grew up listening to the Gene Autry Christmas album? I can still hear him singing "Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane." Only today, I am thinking of updating the lyrics to say "Here come Santa mugs, here come Santa mugs, right down Santa mug lane!" Last week, I received a marvelous gift of seven new-to-me Santa mugs. My friend Teresa's middle daughter had found them in the attic of a house she rents, and the owner had told her she was welcome to anything she wanted in that attic. Well, the daughter and her sisters didn't want them, so Teresa claimed them for me. For years now, I have been sipping my Christmas tea out of vintage Santa mugs (the ones that are in great shape and don't have crazing), and I am always delighted to acquire new ones!


My favorite is this pink-faced Santa. All-pink Christmas decor is becoming a real trend, and I'm thinking of going pastel with next year's decorating, so this little guy is a welcome addition to my collection.


These are tiny little plastic Santa mugs that I believe were once sold in packages of six as party favors. I'm thrilled to have three of them!


This guy is what I consider Santa Mug Classic, and due to paint loss, age, and other factors, each one of these ends up being unique. I have quite a few of these since my late mother used to pick them up for me for 25 cents at Goodwill. I know this because the price, in grease marker, is still on the bottom of many of them. If she were still alive, she would be shocked to know that some Santa mugs are selling for $20 in antique malls, which is the reason I haven't bought a single one there!


Finally, these two matching Santa mugs look like some of the older ones in my collection, and I hope to pull them all out this weekend and take inventory before I fill a cabinet with them. I love the design and the coloring and the slightly smaller than usual size of these, and I also like that the one at left has his eyes open while the one at right is what collectors call a "winking Santa." But you know what else I like?


They still have the original labels on them from a company called Brinn's in Pittsburgh! I feel like I hit the jackpot with these mugs, which are truly an example of one (wo)man's trash being another (wo)man's treasure

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift! A great addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is great that your friend and her daughter saved these for you! It's always nice to have friends who know what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely gifts! I have a few as well! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful, lovely gift! I adore the winking Santa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful gift. I love seeing your Santa mugs each year. They bring back fond memories of my Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great gift! I love those mugs also…only have a few but they are so special to me! Enjoy each and every mug…one woman’s trash is another’s treasure…so cute!
    Happy day, V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What awesome treasures! YAY for you! Can't wait to see your cabinet filled with your collection (or at least as much of your collection that will fit in the cabinet!)
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I see a Santa mug I think of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!