Monday, December 18, 2023

A new way to use cranberry sauce


I was flipping through some of my vintage recipe booklets the other night when a recipe called Cranberry Chews caught my eye. I love treats made with cranberries, but this one is made with cranberry sauce. I happened to have two cans of cranberry sauce left over from Thanksgiving, so I decided to give this recipe a try.


Now, I had assumed the "chews" would have the texture of a blondie, but they ended up tasting more like a cranberry cake. Still tasty, just not what I expected! And I must say these would be great on a tea table or as a teatime snack at the holidays. If you'd like to try them, too, here's the recipe.

Cranberry Chews


From Candy and Cookies Cook Book

By the Newnan Junior Service League (date unknown)


2 eggs

3/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1-1/2 cups prepared biscuit mix (I used Bisquick)

1 (8-ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce, sliced into 1/4-inch cubes (note: I used just over half of a regular 14-ounce can)

1 cup chopped pecans

Confectioners' sugar for garnish


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Stir in the biscuit mix. Fold cranberry sauce cubes into the batter as well as the pecans. Spread in well-greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar over top. Cut into thin bars while slightly warm. Makes about 3 dozen bars.



6 comments:

  1. It looks good! Can you double-check your recipe please? It doesn't seem like there are enough liquids, but maybe the eggs and cranberry sauce are enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise Kaye, yes, those ingredients are correct. In fact, the cranberry sauce seemed to partially liquefy once it hit the batter, so I was pleasantly surprised when chunks of it were still evident in the cake.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! I've never seen a recipe for anything using cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice way to use up cranberry sauce. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a yummy way to use extra cranberry sauce. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!