Monday, January 23, 2023

Fun finds and valentines


On Saturday, I had a bit of luck searching for vintage valentine goodies. At an antique mall in Carrollton, I found a red tin full of cookie cutters, a smiling-heart mug that I’m pretty sure I remember from my girlhood, some old cupcake picks, and my third …


Safety pin basket!


I find it so charming that some woman (surely!) took the time to fashion safety pins and beads into a basket.


When I got home, I had an Etsy package awaiting, and it contained the only vintage valentine tin I’ve ever come across, this one marked Mrs. Steven's Homemade Candies.


The doily design on the lid made this an item I had to have, especially since I’m starting to test recipes for that valentine’s cookbook I’ve been wanting to write.


I did buy something new that day, too, and it's something I think some of you might want to be on the lookout for as well. Now as a teetotaler—or "teatotaler," as I like to say—I’m pretty sure I’ve never written about shot glasses on this blog before, but when I saw these at T. J. Maxx in Carrollton, I had to have them!

I can already think of several teatime uses for them. They could serve cream, jam, or lemon curd. They could be vases for a tiny rose or violets. They could be used to make and serve tea-flavored Jell-O shooters or mini cheesecake bites. They could even be individual pitchers for sugar syrup during iced tea season. I’m sure I’ll think of more uses, and since it was just $4.99 for the set of six, I grabbed them. In fact, I looked around for a second box but didn’t find one, so I’ll have to check my own T. J. Maxx this week. So it was a successful shopping weekend for me. How about you? Any tea or valentine’s finds in your neck of the woods?

7 comments:

  1. I always love seeing your thrifting finds, but wondered where you put them all. That safety pin basket is quite clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that Anonymous was me, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great ideas for using those heart-shaped "shot glasses"! I'll have to look for those. And I really like that vintage Valentine tin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds! Those tiny heart glasses are cute. They would make a lovely mini dessert glass.
    I suppose there must be a book about safety pin crafting. I'll have to google.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your finds and I am very excited that you are getting closer to that Valentine book being written! Put me on the waiting list! :) Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would LOVE to find one of those Valentine candy tins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! I love the shot glasses, I can think of many uses for those - they'd be cute with red/pink M&M's or other candy in them, etc. I'll look forward to the Valentine book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!