Friday, January 20, 2023

A Monarch Green Tea Tin


Almost every antique mall I've ever gone into has had some vintage tins, yet I rarely see old tea tins. I found this one last weekend at a local antique mall, Treasures Lost and Found, and it once contained Monarch Green Tea, a brand I'd not heard of before. It's got an interesting design, with a lion's head logo and a background featuring tea fields.


Above the lion's head, the logo reads, "Our Highest Quality."

I found it interesting that the design was copyrighted in 1923, one hundred years ago, and Reid, Murdoch & Co. was established 170 years ago. Isn't it just a little amazing that for $10, I can hold a piece of history that dates back a hundred years? And while I'd never heard of this company, it didn't take too much googling to find a little info about it here. This page also gives the story of a nearby shipwreck I'd never heard of, so if you like that sort of thing (history, not the tragedy!), please check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Angela, thank you for this interesting look into a tea purveyor of whom many haven't heard. I was born in Chicago, but moved away when I was three. Have been back a few times, and have even taken the river tour more than once. I recognize the building, but didn't know its story until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! I thought this story was quite intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an interesting history of that company! Thank you for giving us the link to the story. I had never heard of that horrible shipwreck there in Chicago. I also had never heard of the Monarch company. That really is a pretty tea tin that you found--I love those ornate Art Nouveau columns on the corners..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have a weakness for a nice vintage tea tin. This is a great find. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!