Monday, April 4, 2022

A fabulous find in Fayetteville


I've been a fan of Sandy Lynam Clough's tea-themed artwork for decades now, ever since I first learned of her when she was illustrating some of Emilie Barnes's lovely teatime books. Some will remember when Sandy's prints and tea wares were sold at home parties (the nineties, I think), and I am fortunate to have some of these items today. I'm particularly proud of an SLC teapot, cookie plate, and two teacups that were gifts from two different friends I met through this blog. These are some of my most treasured tea-themed pieces ever, and they continue to make me as happy as they did the day I received them. So when I saw this signed Sandy print at a Fayetteville thrift store on Saturday for just $8, I was more than a little excited! I'd been out thrifting and antiquing with my friend Kathy, and it was one of our last stops of the day. She found some bargain craft supplies, and I found some kitchen wares. Then I happened to be walking by a stack of artwork, which I rarely look at in thrift stores, when I saw just an edge of this piece peeking out, and I knew immediately whose art it was!


Perhaps because Sandy lives here in Georgia and not too far away from me, I have been fortunate to find several of her signed prints over the years, but rarely at a bargain price like this. The first time I bought one of her signed prints, I remember paying a good bit for the print alone and then well over $100 to have it professionally framed.


And this frame with its elegant curlicues is exactly the sort of style I like. The piece is 17-1/2 x 29-1/2 inches, so it's a nice size. I've had my oldest signed Sandy print in the dining room for a while now (shown here), but since it's pink, it's moved upstairs to a bedroom that I recently redecorated in pink, and now this newest teatime print is in the dining room. I'm curious to know whether you all are fans of her work too. I'm betting many of you also have a print or a book, greeting card, bookmark, or mug featuring Sandy Lynam Clough's teatime art. Yes?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, how lovely - matted and framed, too! I have at least one book, I think, and have admired her artwork but don't have any other pieces of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you were REALLY lucky to find that beautifully framed and signed piece of art by
    Sandy! I love how the purple matting picks up the little bits of purple in the painting.
    I do have "An Invitation to Tea," one of the Emilie Barnes books illustrated by Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because of Sandy and her old chat room years and years ago I met my VERY dearest and most precious friends. Seriously, because of Sandy I have had years and years of wonderful memories gathering for tea parties with my Indy besties. In fact I am going there next week for our first time this year!!!!!

    I love love love Sandy's art, and she will always be in my prayers thanking her for allowing so many to share their love of All Things Tea.

    I am so happy you found this beautiful signed print. What a treasure to find! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought of her work recently, but yes I do love her work. What a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like her artwork. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I have several of her books and a teacup too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very familiar with Sandy's work - books, china, paintings, etc. She's a very talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE her work! I have several books with her illustrations but nothing as perfect as this print. The tea gods were definitely smiling on you that day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!