Monday, December 14, 2015

Mugged by Santa!


Since I haven't pulled out my Santa mugs in a few years, I decided that this year, it was time to gather them from the garage and attic and see what they've been up to. I have a lot of duplicates, but here are some of the 150+ Santa mugs I've gathered over the years, thanks largely to my late mother (who found them for me at Goodwill and yard sales), my friends, and other family members.

The other week when I wrote a Saturday Teatime Tale about a Santa mug collectors' convention, Michele asked what my inspiration was for that story, and of course it was these mugs. Although I can't find that such a thing actually exists, I do wish there was a collectors' group so I could learn more about them. I don't believe any of mine are really valuable, but of course they hold lots of sentimental value for me. This one is what I consider the "classic" Santa mug, definitely the most common style and one I often see at Goodwill and antique stores. When I see these marked $10 or so, I think, "Good luck," because most of mine were 25 and 50 cents!

I believe this is one of the mugs that actually began the collection. One day, my friend and co-worker Nichole heard me say how cute I thought the Santa mugs were in the window of the antique store across from the office where we worked. She bought me two of them that year, and the collection took off from there!

Last year, Margaret in Canada surprised me with this one, one of the nicer, larger mugs in the collection. His yellow and black striped handle makes me think of my elementary school mascot, the Buchanan Yellow Jacket!

Santa mugs don't often have a backstamp, although sometimes I'll find a sticker still attached. Several years ago, another thoughtful blog reader sent me these two mini Santa mugs, and she left the 50-cent price tag on because she knew that would make me happy. It did!

What also made me happy was the fact these two had the Holt-Howard sticker and the year 1960 on them. So they're older than I am! The best information I have found so far tells me that Santa mugs were popular in the fifties and sixties. (I'm still researching, so if you ever come across an old advertisement for Santa mugs, please let me know!)

And while I'm very thrifty with my Santa mug collecting and don't just have to have every Santa mug I find, I must say I am charmed when I find one that is different from the others I have. This little guy was 99 cents at a Goodwill in Smyrna on Saturday, and he is what they call a "winking" Santa mug since one eye is closed. He also looks a little cross-eyed to me, but still, I think he has character. And yes, I do drink tea out of my Santa mugs, because there's no law that says you have to use them only for cocoa. Do any of you have any Santa mugs? I'd love to hear about them!


16 comments:

  1. So cute! Maybe you should start the Santa Mug Collecting Club. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see a Santa mug, I always think of you! Blessed Advent, my friend. Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some serious HAPPY FACES there! I love them all - great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any Santa mugs, but I sure enjoyed seeing yours. Whenever I see a Santa mug I think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a joy to see your collection! I must say...whenever I see one, you come to mind!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have one or two - and now I think about you whenever I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Santa mugs here, but yours are fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Santa mugshots made me smile! I used the Santa mug as a pen holder year-round at my office...it looks much happier in the company of the other Santas at your home. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed by your Santa mug collection. I have never seen so many different one. I remember my mother-in-law having some and giving me one, but I must confess I sent it on to Goodwill. They are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing your Santa mug collection, Angela - they are so cheery! I do think of you whenever I see a Santa mug and I smile, have a great week, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a collection and I seem to recall having a Santa mug growing up. I saw Santa cream and sugars and a few mugs at our antique barn last week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing your Santa mug collection, Angela - they are so cheery! I do think of you whenever I see a Santa mug and I smile, have a great week, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. whaat! This is really really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your collection is amazing and so varied. I don't own any Santa mugs (other than one cheap plastic mini one which I have displayed in a Christmas shadowbox), but at my grandmother's every Christmas when I was growing up, a full set of the winking Santa mugs always adorned the children's table in the kitchen. Such memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Santa Mug collection is adorable! It's especially cute that you now have a mini-mug that matches the two newer additions to your collection. Hope they continue to bring much happiness, filled with tea or hot chocolate or just good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A collection to rival all collections!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!