Wednesday, December 30, 2015

"Downton Abbey" and the new Tea Time

The new issue of Tea Time magazine is simply delightful, and I was thrilled to see "Downton Abbey" on the cover. I'm so eager to see where Season 6 takes the show, and while I'm sad to see it end, I do believe shows are wise to "go out on top" rather than drag something out past its prime.

There is always much to ooh and aah over in Tea Time, and this time, I was bowled over by this lavish rose-themed table filled with Lady Carlyle china (I have a teacup!) and with napkins shaped into roses (hey, I did this very thing last month!). I also greatly enjoyed the feature by Bruce Richardson on "The Tea Things of Thomas Jefferson," partly because my Saturday project this year will focus on tea and American history. But I probably don't need to say any more about that until Saturday, right?

And how happy I was to see this article that included comments from Lady Fiona Carnarvon, the current countess of Highclere Castle, aka "Downton Abbey." I'm so excited about the show's return this Sunday night, and I'm wondering a number of things: How long must we wait for the wedding of Carson and Mrs. Hughes? Will Anna and Bates find happiness? Does Branson leave for America? Those are my top three "want to know" items. What are your top three?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures in this issue, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things Downton Abbey. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I had not realized Downtown Abbey returned this Sunday, so glad! I have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been enjoying this issue Angela. I was disappointed that the the Dusty Rose Tea Room in Georgetown calls their Afternoon Tea "High Tea". We went in there a few weeks back. We didn't have a reservation so of course could not order. They also sell Doll House furnishings. I loved the Downton article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernideen, I thought that was most ironic since I had only recently made up (I thought!) that short story about a Colorado tea room that called theirs "High Tea." Guess not!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the issue as well. I love Lady Carlyle...hope they bring it back to the UK. Am looking forward to the last season. I noticed the high tea thing too...I though Tea Time was a bit better at that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Jan/Feb 2016 issue of Tea Time. I watched Lorna Reeves brief video at Hoffman's website about the new issue. I love the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have GOT to renew my subscription - I loathe missing these issues! Gotta go to the bookstore soon or they'll be gone!

    Love this post!

    Happy New Year, sweet lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does Branson leave for America? ... or do Branson and Mary become a match? Just saying. :)

    Love the rose napkins, I tried it when you posted. Now I have to get a set of pink napkins for a Downton Abbey tea.

    My oldest son gave me the Downton Abbey Official Companion to All Six Seasons book for Christmas. In the lower corner it says "Includes Season 6 Spoilers." I don't want spoilers so may have to take it easy when I finally start it now that the rush is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks for letting me know about the spoilers in that book! I was thinking of ordering it with an Amazon gift card I got for Christmas, but there's no way I'd be able to keep from looking ahead to see what's going to happen. No sense in antagonizing myself, so I'll wait before ordering that book!

      Delete
    2. I'm treading gingerly with the book, I don't want to see the spoilers either. I spoiled so many Christmases in years past by peaking at my presents that it taught be a lesson. I won't peak. :)

      Delete
  9. I would love this issue, Tea Time never failed to excite me. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate to see Downton Abbey end, but am looking forward to the new series, "The Gilded Age", also by Julian Fellowes. Does anyone know when it starts? I can't find a date. Hope it's in the fall of 2016. I read that Cora might have a part in the new series, as she was American born. At any rate, I'll be happy to get back to the beautiful costumes of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a good review, Angela - just watched the opening episode, wow, I enjoyed it! I will pick this issue up, it looks wonderful.

    I agree with you: I will miss this program but it's better to go 'out,' while you're on top, rather than viewers losing interest. PBS had a few other programs on British castles, art and manners, so interesting. Hope you have a wonderful new year, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!