Monday, December 28, 2015

Baking with what's on hand

Have you used up all the extra Christmas baking ingredients sitting around your house? My Sunday School class occasionally decides to have a potluck breakfast meal together, and while I was happy to learn we would do so once again on the Sunday after Christmas, I knew I didn't have it in me to go to the grocery store again. I had trouble coming up with something breakfasty to make with the ingredients I had on hand, but then I remembered I had some cream cheese and mini chocolate chips I needed to use up. So I looked online to see if there was a muffin recipe calling for cream cheese and chocolate chips, and I found this one.* These turned out so delicious, and I definitely try to file away anything that makes my husband say, "This one's a keeper." These muffins tasted so rich and creamy, and they were easy to whip up, too!

Since I'm already planning my first tea of 2016, I'm thinking I just may make these in mini muffin sizes to serve as one of the sweets at the tea. Have you thought about your first tea of the new year yet? I'd love to hear what you have in mind!

*I substituted whole milk for the cream in this recipe. I'll try it with the cream when I make these again, but I would not hesitate to substitute the whole milk, either!

10 comments:

  1. Dear Angela:
    Those muffins will be perfect for your first tea. Angela, we are moving in 2016 to Missouri and guess what? The retirement home will be rancher with a walkout basement. I am loosing a few rooms but gaining some other rooms. There will be no formal dinning room or living room....but in the basement - a large area for my own personal tea room! I am so excited. I already have the tables! I also will have a sewing/craft room which will be so wonderful. I am wishing you a very Happy New Year as you enjoy all your tea adventures and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those do look delicious. Happy New Year!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela - say, thanks for the recipe - always good to know it got the "This one's a keeper" two-thumbs-up from a husband - always a very good thing. :-)

    First tea of the year will probably be in January. I usually have a Winter's Day Tea, but this year has been so oddly warm I may just not do it, or put it off - not sure. We need snow for it to work right.

    I'd love to hear more about the tea party you are planning.

    Hugs. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about the first tea. I was supposed to advise, but alas, for the third year, I'll be in charge.

    My library is having a tea on January 2 to kick off the final season of Downton Abbey. So I'll be setting up the tables on Thursday, making sandwiches and cookies on Friday, cutting up sandwiches and making gallons of tea on Saturday.

    I'll have strawberry cake mix cookies, lemon cake mix cookies, brownies three ways (frosted, frosted with chopped pecans, frosted with whole pecans), dried apricots dipped halfway in white chocolate or milk chocolate (the contrast makes a nice presentation), snicker doodles, sugar cookies with colored sugar, spritz flowers with cherry centers, almond bars, and chocolate bon-bons.

    Sandwiches will be ham, cucumber, egg salad, chicken or chicken salad, olive-nut, tomato-butter.

    No scones this year. There will be six tables of four, each table will have a different color scheme.

    We'll also have a vintage clothing fashion show and hat decorating.

    Sunday I will be a zombie and just stare at the TV.

    Patsy in Nixa, MO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. Anytime I see cream cheese and chocolate chips I think of the center of a ring of coconut fudge cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That muffin looks really scrumptious! A perfect match for a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm! No teas planned at this point, but dreaming of having a few small tea times in the garden later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds great cream cheese and chocolate, I will surely put these in my box if recipes... I haven't thought of a new year tea yet... With love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe looks great! I thought of this post when I was cooking up some black eyed peas for New Year's, adding in some ham and shrimp to the base, for extra flavor. Here's to a great new year! Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!