Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Visiting the site of some beloved old department stores

While briefly in Chicago last week, I made a point of visiting a place I actually shopped at years ago and ended up writing about in my book "Dainty Dining," the former Marshall Field and Company department store on State Street. I love this old store's history for many reasons, chief among them the fact that the founder is the one who famously said, "Give the lady what she wants." Oh, that such customer service were still around today!

The store is a Macy's now, but I was pleased to see the old Marshall Field clocks are still on display. I like to imagine the ladies who strolled beneath them on their way inside for lunch at the store's tea room years ago. Perhaps one of them sipped from the little Marshall Field Tea Room cup and saucer I found on Etsy a while back. (Click here to see the set if you're interested.)

The other old store on State Street that I wanted to visit was the Carson Pirie Scott store, which I never visited in its heyday but whose old restaurant I have seen in postcard form. (Click here to see it.) I hadn't done any research online, so I wasn't even sure there was a tenant in the old Carson Pirie Scott building, known for its beautiful cast-iron ornamental work. But I got there and saw lots of people going in and out, and I wondered what it could be …

… and it's now a Target, for Pete's sake. I sort of died a little inside when I realized a fine old department store is now a Target, but I suppose I should be pleased that at least the building is still there!

8 comments:

  1. The building that is now a Target has an architectural charm that most modern Target stores lack. At least it is still occupied by a store, however different from the fine old department store. I'd actually rather shop there than Macy's. My roots are with Rich's and I just can't bring myself to shop at its competitor even though Rich's no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used your time in Chicago very wisely, and it was not only fun but productive. Did you have tea in the Walnut Room at Macy's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that little Marshall Field's teacup and saucer. Wish I had four of them.

    I, too, miss the tearooms in departments stores. I still remember one in California called May Company, and they served a plate lined with lettuce, a couple of finger sandwiches, a scoop of chicken salad, a scoop of egg salad, a mound of cut up fresh fruit, but the crowning glory was a little cup of pink coconut sauce for dipping the fruit. It wasn't to pour over - too thick, but for spearing the fruit and dunking it. It was smooth, no coconut bits. I've recreated that sauce with cream cheese, whipping cream, powdered sugar, coconut flavoring and red food coloring, but somehow it's just not the same as eating it in a proper setting surrounded by chattering women.

    Patsy in Nixa, MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. The consumer has rewritten shopping by demanding discounted items. Sadly, I was often told this will be the last of small boutiques and unique shops. Perhaps the same is true for department stores being replaced with Target, Walmart, Sams, Costco and World Market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those old department stores did make our heart pitter patter. They were so beautiful. Last time I was in San Francisco I had to visit a couple old department stores and see how they were now. Just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to see the old buildings still standing and being used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adaptive reuse is better than demolition. I'm thankful the building is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad these fine old stores are still being used. Chicago has always had such nice shopping opportunities. Thanks for the update, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!