Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The April 2015 issue of Romantic Homes

Any magazine with a cover depicting teatime catches my attention, so I had to check out this April 2015 issue of Romantic Homes.

There's a nice feature on British Teatime which will earn cheers from many of us for an important reason: the magazine's editor writes in her article on teatime of the difference between afternoon tea and high tea. Yes! Jacqueline deMontravel notes, "A common misconception is that high tea is the elegant tea party version of teatime. In reality, it originated for the working classes as an end-of-the-day full meal with tea. High tea is also called 'meat tea' because of its hearty dishes like kidney pies, fish and substantial sides." (I don't mind a bit if a newcomer to teatime accidentally refers to afternoon tea as "high tea," but when I see a tea room advertising a fancy "high tea," it makes me cringe!)

This issue also has pages and pages of new teas and teawares (I ordered something on this page that I hope to share with you soon), so it's definitely an issue worth checking out if you're a tea lover!

15 comments:

  1. I thought this issue of Romantic Homes was great ... from beginning to end. I browsed a couple of times and then sat down to read when I had lots of free time. Now I want to know what you ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I just picked up the March issue, I'll keep an eye out for this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cover! I would check this one out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! If someone advertises high tea, I expect welsh rarebit or a mini chicken and mushroom pie, or something else meaty and satisfying. Actually, it would be fun to have high tea for my son. I never thought about that, and he'd like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this issue. Romantic Homes is a great magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip on this magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been devouring this issue of Romantic Homes. That cover picture is gorgeous, but I also wanted to see a wider version on it inside the magazine. Loved that the writer also described the difference between high tea and afternoon tea. I do cringe also when a tea shop advertises "high tea". They should know better. They are there to educate their customers and some shop owners just don't realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to keep a look out for this magazine. I don't think I've ever seen this magazine in our area before though. The cover is quite appealing to tea lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, I had to run out immediately to buy this issue! And that is something for me because it's 33 degrees outside and sleet on the ground! I know that doesn't sound very cold to some of you, but this cold-natured Texan really feels it. Anyway, it is a beautiful magazine. I also loved the little fabric flower napkin rings that they give instructions for making.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Off to Banes and Noble ........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a beautiful issue - thanks for the review. Joaniel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who cringes at the misuse of high tea vs. afternoon tea. I believe many tea rooms do this so that they can charge more because it sounds fancier than afternoon tea but it is just a great, glaring sign to me that they don't know their own business.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a nice issue and just what I need to read on the plane for an upcoming trip. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drat - I looked for this magazine in the supermarket today, but didn't spot it. It certainly would have jumped out at me with such a fabulous cover! Must look harder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!